Tutor with Field Studies Council
Tutor with Field Studies Council
Imagine a job where you can use your environmental knowledge every day, helping to shape the minds of the new generation; a job where you work as part of a team in the great outdoors, inspiring others and developing passions for the future. Teaching with FSC gives you a role with both challenge and opportunity, and a chance to start young people on a journey of discovery that can last a lifetime. FSC are looking for people with a curiosity for the world around us, a passion for the natural history of the British Isles and an ability to enthuse and inspire others.
Job Title: Tutor
Grade: Team Member
Based at: FSC Amersham
Reports to: Centre Manager as part of the Education Team
This post holds no line management responsibility
Overall Job purpose:
The post-holder will develop, plan and deliver ‘out-of-classroom learning’ activities to a wide ranging audience; engaging and enthusing students and assisting FSC achieve its goal of ‘Bringing Environmental Understanding to All though first-hand experience’. The post-holder will be expected to lead groups of all abilities in the natural environment with the ability to provide an appropriate standard of care for our learners. You will also contribute to all other aspects of running a busy education centre.
This is essentially an active role and will require the post-holder to be able to carry out duties associated with effectively managing groups in outdoor learning locations, which may be remote, whilst ensuring the health and safety of the group at all times, including carrying safety sacks.
- Developing and delivering out-of-classroom learning experiences to a wide-ranging audience of formal and informal educational groups including:
- leading specification-based programmes in geography & biology at Key-stage 4 and A/AS level
- leading Key-stage 2 & 3 programmes with environmental, conservation and adventurous activities
- cross-curricular environmental studies programmes at Key Stages 2 and 3
- informal leisure-learning programmes for adult and family groups
- supporting other courses e.g. university groups, PGCE, etc
- programmes for school and other local community groups
- Ensuring that – where appropriate – programmes have relevance to the National Curriculum for England and Wales and Awarding Body Specifications
- Effectively integrating ICT into pre-planned activities (GIS, Excel, Smartboards and PowerPoints)
- Ensuring all resources (including shared resources) are prepared and available for the activity
- Producing plans for activities, identifying appropriate learning outcomes and liaising with accompanying staff to ensure programmes meet their requirements
- Identifying individual learning needs and planning and adapting courses to meet the needs of learners, and responding to the needs of the group by changing the pace and/or style of delivery as appropriate
- Contributing fully to the development of new teaching activities, including taking a lead role within some areas and effectively sharing and communicating ideas within the teaching team
- Delivering activities in a safe, effective and engaging manner, carrying out Risk Assessments and adapting activities where appropriate, e.g. due to sudden changes in weather or other unforeseen circumstances
- You may occasionally be required to travel and work at other nearby locations in the East Region/Group.
- Complying with all relevant legislation / FSC Operating Codes of Practice (OCoPs) / FSC Health and Safety Handbook and FSC procedures
- Delivering a high standard of customer service and customer care
- Ensuring the highest standards of quality are achieved in all duties carried out
- Working closely with other staff to ensure that appropriate levels of service are maintained during absences and periods of high workload
- Maintaining professional standards at all times in accordance with FSC policies
- Fulfilling your obligations under FSC’s Behaviour Partnership to ensure a happy, productive working environment
- Attending staff meetings as well as FSC internal and external training as required, in order to share best practice and improve team and learning location performance, and participating fully in staff development activities (sometimes this may involve travel to other learning locations with the occasional overnight stay)
- Driving: We have a number of vehicles which you may be asked to drive. To do so, you will need to be 21 years or over, have a full valid driving licence, to have been driving for at least two years, and undertake an internal assessment on commencement in the role
- Undertaking any other duties that may reasonably be required to ensure the smooth and efficient running of the learning location
The expectations of every employee that we regard as essential include:
- A positive and passionate work attitude
- A desire to show pride in all aspects of their work
- A flexible approach with a willingness to adapt to changes
- An ability to work using your own initiative both independently and as a competent, effective team member
- An ability to work under pressure and prioritise work to meet tight deadlines
- Always treating others with courtesy, dignity and respect
- A commitment and contribution to improving FSC’s environmental performance
- A committed and proactive approach to personal development; motivated to learn new skills and overcome new challenges
This job description should be seen as enabling rather than restrictive, and will be subject to regular review.
For more information about the Tutor vacancy including:
- Job Description and Person Specification
- Summary of the main terms and conditions for the post
- Information about FSC, FSC Amersham & FSC East Group/Region (also visit www.field-studies-council.org)
Please visit: https://www.field-studies-council.org/media/5494753/am-tutor-vp-june-19.pdf
How to apply:
For all recruitment information and relevant application forms please go to our vacancies web page at: www.field-studies-council.org/vacancies
To apply for this position please download and complete in full the EDUCATION application form. You must ensure that your application includes examples of how you have demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in meeting the requirements of the post detailed in both the job description and person specification.
Send your completed application form to: [email protected] OR
Human Resources, FSC Head Office, Preston Montford, Montford Bridge, Shrewsbury, Shropshire SY4 1HW
Please note we do not accept CV’s without a completed application form.
The closing date for receipt of your completed application is 12 noon on Wednesday 10th July 2019.
Interviews are scheduled to take place at FSC Amersham in the week commencing 15th July 2019.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted by telephone and/or email.
If you have any queries regarding this vacancy please call Jackie Rham on 01494 721054. We look forward to receiving your application in due course.