What You Will Do
Gain experience in wildlife biology and regulatory compliance with the Los Alamos National Laboratory’s Biological Resources Program. You will collaborate with environmental professional staff to fulfill requirements related to federally-listed threatened or endangered species, migratory birds, and other sensitive species. This includes conducting fieldwork across the Laboratory’s approximately 40 square miles. You will support multiple ongoing projects like threatened and endangered species surveys, avian point counts, bird banding, small mammal trapping, nestbox monitoring, or camera trap monitoring. As a part of the Environmental Protection and Compliance Division, Environmental Stewardship Group, you will work with environmental professionals to support the Laboratory’s broader mission of solving national security challenges through simultaneous excellence.
Location: This position will be physically located in Los Alamos, NM. This position may occasionally work from a remote/home location within a two-hour ground commute of the Laboratory at the manager’s discretion. Ability to report on-site is a must for this position.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and securely in the field and provide a safe working environment with open communication.
- Demonstrated ability to record field data correctly and clearly; ability to organize data from multiple projects concurrently and perform data quality assurance.
- Self-initiating, communicative work style with very strong interpersonal and collaborative-work capabilities; ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written, oral, and electronic media.
- Familiarity with topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and spatial tools.
- Ability to work in outdoor environments, ability to conduct very early morning or late night field work, ability to tolerate varying environmental conditions, and the ability hike long distances, while carrying loads of 25 pounds over rough, uneven, and steep terrain.
- This position requires enrollment in and successfully completed a minimum of 12 undergraduate credit hours per semester (or the equivalent of full time enrollment).
- The candidate must have and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on 4.0 scale.
- The candidate will be required to upload an official transcript as part of the application.
- Students considered for this position shall be currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields: biology, ecology, environmental science or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying birds by sight and sound in the field and/or willingness to develop or improve identification skills.
- Demonstrated experience avian nest searching and/or willingness to develop or improve these skills.
- Demonstrated experience conducting threatened and endangered species surveys and/or willingness to develop or improve these skills.
- Ability to safely remove, handle, and band birds and/or willingness to develop or improve these skills.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns.
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid childbirth and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)
Note To Applicants
- Along with your resume, please include a detailed cover letter explaining how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired qualifications.
- Please provide at least two references in your resume.
- This position does not require extensive travel.