Since its founding in 1999, Mongabay.com has become one of the top sources for tropical forest news, analysis, and information on the Internet. Online video news provides a powerful and popular way of covering compelling stories and reaching new audiences. To scale up Mongabay’s growing visual storytelling team, we’re hiring a Video Production Coordinator to create, coordinate, organize, and systematize original video content sourced from a global network of videographers inspired by conservation and environmental science.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
40% of time spent coordinating with contributors, Mongabay editors, and third parties
- Track delivery of visual assets to and from third parties;
- Support the digital editor with the logistics of video assignments including on-boarding new contributors, organizing assignments, and sharing information between Mongabay and third parties;
- Provide other support as needed to ensure content meets Mongabay’s high standards of professionalism, consistency, authenticity, and reliability;
30% of time spent on video ideation, production (scripting, editing) and distribution
- Work with Digital editors to research and source video footage primarily from stock footage and archival libraries, but also from field producers;
- Write scripts and edit footage into videos for social media;
- support posting on Mongabay’s video channel including drafting required metadata;
20% of time spent in organizing visual assets (videos, photos, animations etc) in a content database and documenting footage rights
- Organize files including video clips, visual assets, and templates by creating and/or maintaining a content database;
- Manage rights clearance between Mongabay and third parties;
10% refining the editorial processes and keeping existing projects on track. Building new strategies with the digital editors
- Support editorial planning to reach established goals in the set timeline;
- Collect data on impacts of stories including examples of republication for use in grant reports;
- Interpret and adapt to collected viewership data across various platforms; and
- Work within tight deadlines and be responsive to Mongabay headquarters and to other Mongabay staffers via email, skype, phone and text.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- One to three years of video production experience, particularly with video editing;
- Professional experience working for a news outlet is preferred;
- Advanced understanding of video production, workflow and production management;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Film/camera handling experience a plus, but not required;
- Social media expertise, including social marketing;
- English as a first language (or exceptional fluency in both writing and speaking);
- High level of expertise with Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, YouTube, and Social Media; and
- Familiar with Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Google Drive and Asana (or similar).
At the heart of Mongabay is a spirit of innovation. We’re open to trying new ideas, adapting existing models, and phasing out underperforming projects in our quest to deliver the best products and services possible given our resources. Due to our organization’s culture and global work-at-home staff, the most successful staffs at Mongabay are adept at working independently and produce consistent high-quality journalistic work by taking initiative and thinking creatively about solutions to problems. In this context, this person:
- Is extremely self-directed, motivated, and reliable;
- Understands ethical and editorial journalistic standards;
- Maintains a strong sense of professionalism and communication;
- Adjusts approaches according to feedback;
- Makes timely decisions and demonstrate good judgment;
- contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results;
- Fosters positive relationships with videographers and partner media outlets;
- Changes gears quickly from editing a short video on tight deadline to managing a complex video assignment produced over a long period of time;
- Contributes to the Mongabay team by communicating and working cooperatively with staff, while following through on tasks and delivering results; and
- Demonstrates personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
COMPENSATION & LOCATION
As a globally distributed organization, there is no required location for this position. However, location is a consideration and an ability to coordinate with colleagues working in a diversity of time zones is strongly preferred. Mongabay aims to offer competitive pay rates that will attract, retain, and motivate our full-time staff. Please submit a pay range when applying.
Apply online here. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled. On the application, you will be asked to fill out basic contact information, pay rate expectations, reference information (2), and to upload the following two documents:
- Cover letter – please provide specific examples of your experience related to this position, as well as specific examples of your ability to work effectively from home and meet deadlines (1-2 pages)
- Resume – (1-2 pages)
- Two references
Applications must be submitted in English. Please note that you do not need to provide letters of recommendation and we will not reach out to references before getting your permission to do so.
Benefits, Holidays, and Paid Time Off
It is important for all staff to step away from work to renew themselves. That is why Mongabay provides generous paid time off (PTO) for professional development, holidays, sick time, rest and relaxation, and vacation including a flexible work schedule.
We observe 10 U.S Federal holidays and support staff who celebrate other personal and religious holidays.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mongabay is an equal employment opportunity (EEO)/affirmative action employer and provides EEO to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or any other status prohibited by law.
* The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All staff is responsible for following applicable Mongabay policies and procedures as defined by their manager and Employment Handbook.