This listing has expired.
“One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”
British Exploring Society is a youth development charity that brings diverse people together to work in challenging environments. It creates expeditions that help equip young people with the courage, skills and resilience to make the most of their future. Expeditions are between 2 weeks and 6 weeks long and take typically place in the Spring, Summer and Autumn holiday periods.
British Exploring Society recruit passionate, skilled volunteer knowledge leaders. These leaders bring with them experience working with young people in remote settings and are able to facilitate the personal development of young people by inspiring curiosity in science activities, media projects and the natural environment.
Working in partnership with other expedition Leaders they will be responsible for designing and delivering activities and projects including the John Muir Conservation Award, scientific fieldwork and creative media activities.
We aim to recruit leaders with expertise across these areas and allow leaders to play to their strengths and expertise to design and deliver engaging, relevant and meaningful projects for our Explorers.
Previous knowledge leaders have been academics and scientists with fieldwork or expedition experience, educators experienced in delivering environmental education (e.g. Forest Schools) or have been creative professionals including filmmakers, animators and journalists. This list is not exhaustive and would strongly encourage applications from other specialities and disciplines.
This is a chance to work with young people on expeditions to remote locations where they face challenges, gain skills and learn about themselves. When surveying our Leaders from the last five years, 85% said they were better at their day job as a result of volunteering with British Exploring Society and 100% said they had learnt new skills through the experience.
Benefits of leading with us
- Lead, inspire and facilitate the personal development of young people in remote and wild environments
- Meet a huge range of new people, forging friendships and memories of shared experiences
- Learn new skills and develop existing skills that can help shape and support your career
- Become part of a community of volunteer leaders and a member of British Exploring Society
We are looking for applicants who are:
- Able and passionate about leading, inspiring, and teaching young people.
- Comfortable spending extended periods in remote and sometimes harsh environments.
- Able to commit to pre-expedition training weekends throughout February and May and are available for between 2 to 6 weeks from mid-July 2020 to end of August 2020.
As a charity, all leaders take part on a voluntary basis and do not have to fundraise to lead on our expeditions. Leaders only need provide their own personal kit, vaccinations and visa. In some cases, leaders are required to cover the cost of their flight.
Prior to expedition all volunteer leaders will receive training and support. All main expedition costs are covered, including insurance, specialist equipment, expedition food and accommodation. Leaders will need to provide their own personal kit as well as vaccinations and visas (if applicable). Leaders may claim expenses for UK training events, and we do ask that first time leaders cover the cost of their flights.
How do I apply?