This listing has expired.
The Brighton Dolphin Project is an initiative from the World Cetacean Alliance that aims to improve awareness about the local marine ecosystems and species across Sussex. Brighton has a rich cultural heritage with Dolphins, and we want to celebrate everything about them along the Sussex coastline, whilst connecting a city with its dolphins in the newly created biosphere reserve. This is achieved through:
- Conducting Research: studying local dolphin/wildlife populations through a Public Sightings Database, as well as studying our own impact on the marine environment.
- Inspiring the Next Generation: carrying out fun, interactive activities at our Dolphin Discovery Centre, as well as organising school workshops about the ocean.
- Connecting People with Nature: hosting a series of wildlife trips so everyone can learn about and hopefully see some of our amazing marine wildlife here in Brighton.
- Collaborating for Conservation: working with not-for-profit organisations to discover more about marine life by creating projects that raise awareness about our seas.
About the Role
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to assist with all aspects of the Brighton Dolphin Project, so that we can inspire the local community to care about marine conservation. You will have the opportunity to help us with collect data on cetaceans in Sussex, run our discovery centre and inspire the public through community engagement events throughout the summer.
The successful candidates will report directly to our Project Coordinator, as well as the Brighton Dolphin Project team. You will receive in-situ training from us and work closely with colleagues at WCA Headquarters’ in Brighton. The WCA is unable to cover personal expenses.
- Manning our Discovery Centre to inspire visitors about marine conservation through running our activities including beach cleans and a VR experience
- Assist our Research & Sightings Officer with entering and checking sightings data, as well as examining photographs of Dolphins for our catalogue.
- Updating our social media and website with details of latest sightings.
- Attend outreach events in Sussex to represent the Brighton Dolphin Project.
- Act as a Wildlife Guide on board our summer boat trips, educating people about marine life in Brighton and marine conservation.
- Conducting research into possible funding grants we can apply for to assist with different aspects of the project.
- There may also be the opportunity to assist with the work of the World Cetacean Alliance e.g. conducting research into whale watching companies.
- Commitment to raising awareness of marine conservation.
- Passion to inspire and educate people of all ages.
- Experience delivering educational activities to children and young people.
- Ability to thrive in a multi-tasking, high energy environment.
- Ability to be a self-starter and keep track of personal project work.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Computer proficient including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Degree in relevant science or environment subject
- Knowledge of cetaceans and their conservation
- Prior experience of creating educational resources
- Prior experience of data entry and handling
- Prior experience of community engagement about wildlife conservation
- Full drivers’ licence and access to a car
Throughout your time with us, we can offer you the following:
- Training to develop and deliver environmental education activities.
- Training from BDP/WCA as part of our Responsible Whale Watching Guide course.
- Experience educating a variety of different ages, in a number of different environments.
- Develop knowledge of working for a small NGO with an active citizen science project.
- Opportunity to learn about and network with WCAs 100 Partners in 40 countries.
- Build on your network of contacts for career development / research or voluntary opportunities.
Position Title: Brighton Dolphin Project – Volunteer Project Assistant x 3
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Duration: Monday 24th June to Friday 30th August
Hours: 3-4 days a week (including evening and regular weekend work as required)
Location: Brighton, UK
Application deadline: Sunday 9th June
If you would like to apply for this position, please email a current C.V. and covering letter outlining your interest to Simon McPherson at [email protected]
We look forward to receiving your application!