This listing has expired.
Goudveld Baboon Project
We are looking for a volunteer research assistant to help with the ongoing Goudveld Baboon project in South Africa. The project is located in and around an afromontane evergreen forest in the Western Cape of South Africa near Knysna, in the Garden Route National Park.
One study troop of baboons has been habituated over the 4 years at this new field site. We collect ad lib data on social behavior, ranging, demography and reproductive cycles. This long-term project is aimed at understanding the changes in social structure, physiology, and health that underlie adaptation to different habitats.
Volunteers will be part of a team and responsible for contributing to the following:
- Locating baboons according to known ranging patters and vocalizations
- Approaching baboons with caution and remaining near them
- Recording data on baboon behavior and baboon-human interactions
- Identifying individual baboons using natural features such as ear and tail shape
- Data entry
No specific experiences are required for the position. However, a successful applicant has all the following characteristics:
- Healthy dose of patience and persistence
- Physical ability to hike in variable terrain, for extended hours
- No overt fear of snakes or bugs
- Willingness to walk through dense vegetation in pursuit of baboons
- Reliable, responsible, mature*
- Excellent attention to detail
- Internally motivated team player
- Did we mention patience?
This is a great opportunity for those wanting to gain experience in field primatology, animal behavior, or conservation biology.
No Salary or any funding provided
Support provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
You will be responsible for your own airfare and travel to South Africa and medical/travel insurance. Housing is available which is equipped with internet, a hot shower, flush toilet, electric stove, oven, fridge, safe and clean tap water, washing machine, electricity, space heaters and closet space. The internet is sufficiently fast at the project house for most needs. Volunteer field station fees are R4500 per month(+-$330) which covers housing and internet only. Depending on personal preferences, food expenses are estimated between $25-$50 per week
Term of Appointment:
We accept volunteers on a rolling basis, immediate needs for August 2019 and beyond. As long as you can see this posting, we are in need of volunteers and will accept applications.
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter outlining your interest, suitability for the role, relevant experience and duration and timing of availability. In addition, please have two reference letters emailed to the address below