This is a fantastic opportunity to work with an experienced team of blanket bog restoration practitioners to help deliver over a million pounds worth of peatland restoration over the next three years.
Warden (Fixed Term)
Location: Dove Stone, Oldham, OL3
Salary: £25,280.00 – £28,045.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Contract: Until March 2025
Dove Stone is a partnership site between RSPB and United Utilities, in the north of the Peak District National Park. Peatland restoration at Dove Stone has been ongoing for 16 years, and the partnership team has been instrumental in developing some of the now standard restoration techniques, and we are still innovating! Come and join us at the cutting edge of UK peatland restoration!
What is the role about?
This role will report to the Site Manager and will work alongside the existing Warden within the land management team at Dove Stone to plan, deliver and report on Dove Stone’s Nature for Climate Peatland Restoration funded capital works programme. The post holder will be responsible for;
- Managing high value capital delivery contracts to budget and according to SSSI consents including
– Peat dam installation
– Sphagnum moss planting
– Heather and Molinia cutting
- The role holder will be expected to ensure that the RSPB procurement and tendering processes are followed in full, and that contractors work under appropriate RAMS and qualifications
- The role holder will be responsible for ensuring that the RSPB Health and Safety processes are followed for both in house and contracted delivery
- The role holder will work alongside the existing Assistant Warden to deliver the in house sections of the planned capital delivery through staff and volunteer labour including
– Sphagnum moss planting
– Green willow soil nail installation
– Vegetation cutting
- The role holder will contribute to the funder reporting requirements and the grant claiming process by working with the Project Manager and Site Manager
- The role holder will be involved in the site’s fire fighting activities, alongside the Site Manager, existing Warden and Assistant Warden
- The role holder will be expected to work closely with wider RSPB teams including fundraising, finance, volunteering, communications and health and safety to ensure compliance in all aspects of delivery
- The role holder will work within the small Dove Stone team, based at our Uppermill office, near Oldham in Greater Manchester, and will work well with partners and external organisations
What we need from you:
As the Nature for Climate Peatland Restoration Warden, you will work with the Site Manager and the existing Warden to manage the nature for Climate Peatland Restoration capital works programme at Dove Stone.
- You will have a proven track record of contract management, especially contracts valued at more than £50,000, including
Planning works using GIS mapping
Contract preparation and tendering, and will follow the RSPB’s procurement framework
Contract delivery and supervision
Reporting, evaluation and mapping works
- You will have more than 2 years of peatland restoration experience
- You will have sit in and/or sit on ATV qualifications, and ideally experience in using argocat and fogging units for moorland fire fighting
- You will be licenced to tow a trailer, and you will have a full UK driving licence
- You will have a first aid at work qualification
- You have a proven track record of health and safety compliant working
- You will be a confident GIS user
- You will be an excellent team worker and will be willing to learn from staff, partners and volunteers
- You will be confident and experienced in working in remote hill locations in difficult weather conditions
- You will be at your happiest on the hill, with your team, in the elements, covered in peat!
- You will have previous experience of partnership working
- You will ideally have brushcutter and off road driving qualifications
- You will ideally have experience of working with helicopters (accepting loads and hooking on)
- You will have experience working to a budget
- You will have experience lone working in remote locations
This is a Contract, Full-Time role for 3 years. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing date: 23:59, 24 October 2021
We are looking to conduct face-to-face interviews for this position on 3rd November 2021.
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click HERE to be directed to our website where you can complete your online application.
As part of this application process you will be asked to complete a full application form including evidence on how you meet the skills, knowledge, and experience requested.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
No agencies please.