Inspiring Hikers to Create Trails for Everyone, Forever
Washington Trails Association (WTA) is the nation’s largest state‐based hiking and trail maintenance organization. Powered by hikers for more than 50 years, WTA works to ensure Washington’s trails stand the test of time, connecting people to the outdoors—from everyday adventures to backcountry explorations. We engage our community as public lands advocates, as trail stewards, and as on‐the‐ground experts sharing knowledge with fellow hikers. WTA’s strength is in its community and future success depends on fostering an inclusive organization and engaged hiking community, where everyone feels welcome and represented.
WTA is looking for a seasoned marketing professional to bring new expertise to our successful communications team. We are looking for someone who excels at developing strategies and content that will motivate people to engage more deeply with WTA’s mission to inspire hikers to explore and protect trails. This person will play an important role in helping set and execute our community engagement and marketing strategies across our digital platforms, as well as aligning and enhancing our communications across the organization.
The Marketing Manager is a new position that will grow and strengthen WTA’s marketing and digital communications efforts. This is an exciting opportunity to serve as a strategic thought partner to the communications director and help expand the reach and influence of the organization.
The Marketing Manager reports to the Communications Director. This cross-functional position works closely with the communications and development teams as well as other program staff.
Digital Marketing & Engagement Strategy
- Develop and implement digital marketing initiatives, including email and social channels, that expand brand awareness and attract new audiences.
- Develop and drive digital engagement strategy, including email, website and social platforms, to deepen the connection WTA’s community has to our mission and work.
- Closely monitor market trends, digital developments, community, and cultural insights, working cross-functionally to translate into future engagement opportunities using search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing, email, social and website.
- Analyze WTA audience demographics and key performance indicators to demonstrate community engagement and growth.
- Manage the organization’s overall email strategy, including leading development of Trail News, WTA’s largest monthly newsletter, and providing content oversight to other newsletters and mass email content for impact, message consistency and brand strategy.
- Strengthen WTA’s voice across digital platforms by providing digital communications training and best practices, as well as helping program staff to create compelling written content on WTA’s work and programmatic campaigns.
- Create innovative content to engage new audiences and inspire enthusiasm for WTA and our work.
- Manage a talented team of communications coordinators that engage in the daily work of connecting with our online community and supporting the behind-the-scenes analytics and SEO.
Job Skills and Experience
We are looking for a strong communicator and strategic thinker with a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and deep knowledge of brand strategy, digital marketing and audience insights. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of developing marketing and engagement strategies and managing content delivery. We are looking for someone who is inspired by WTA’s mission and driven to expand our community and reach, helping us achieve trails for everyone, forever.
- At least three years of experience developing and managing brand marketing and social engagement strategies for a mission-based organization.
- Proven success in developing and executing marketing strategies and plans, from idea to implementation, that drive brand awareness and deepen understanding of an organization’s mission and values.
- Experience creating persuasive content encouraging organizational engagement and financial support from both new and existing audiences.
- Experience defining performance indicators, analyzing performance and reporting. Solid analytical skills and robust experience with Google Ads, Analytics and Tag Manager.
- Proven ability to test, track and report on marketing outcomes to shape campaigns that drive organizational engagement and support.
- Experience overseeing and sending email messaging communications to multiple targeted audiences.
- Experience developing audience insights, as well as interpreting and applying audience findings. Ability to identify audience needs and draft strategies and plans that deliver on those needs.
- Experience managing people with a focus on strong results and professional development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of diverse races, ages, genders, abilities and economic backgrounds.
- Experience bringing together equity and marketing goals to successfully engage with diverse communities to grow target audiences.
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Campaign Monitor.
Location and Schedule
The Marketing Manager position is a full-time, exempt position based in WTA’s Seattle office. WTA has a hybrid work model with at least 2 days of work per week in-person at our Seattle office. Some tasks may require in-person presence at the office or occasional evening or weekend work for special events. Vaccination requirements are in place for WTA staff and volunteers.
Annual salary range is $70,000 – $80,000. Salary depends on experience. Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, retirement, disability, transportation, and holiday, vacation, parental and sick leave.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
WTA is committed to advancing equity through our work and to becoming a more inclusive organization. People of color and others with underrepresented identities (including but not limited to: gender identity, class, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, age, ability, and background) are strongly encouraged to apply.
WTA does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, color, gender identity, marital status, honorably discharged veteran or military status, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
To apply: submit a resume and a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Include “Marketing Manager” in the subject line. This position is open until filled.
If you have any questions or need accommodation in our recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
About Washington Trails Association
Washington Trails Association mobilizes hikers and everyone who loves the outdoors to explore, steward and champion trails and public lands.
That exploring nature is good for people’s hearts, minds and bodies, and that hiking is a powerful way for everyone to connect with Washington’s natural wonders.
That people will protect the places they love to hike, from local parks to remote wilderness.
It is vitally important for everyone to have the opportunity to access the outdoors, and we are committed to reducing barriers to hiking trails and lands.
WTA began in 1966 as Signpost magazine and has grown into a diverse community of hikers speaking out for trails and wildlands.
Programs approach: Learn about the multifaceted approach of our program work to educate, inspire and engage hikers—all to protect the trails and wild places we love. Strategic Plan 2021-2025: We invite you to join in the journey of creating trails for everyone, forever.
Accomplishments: From creating Washington’s largest volunteer trail maintenance program to reforming legislation that allocates trail funding, find out what WTA has accomplished since our founding in 1966.