This listing has expired.
The Wild Chimpanzee Foundation (WCF) is an international NGO established in several countries
such as Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea and Liberia. WCF has been in operation since 2000 for the
conservation of chimpanzees and other biodiversity in West Africa. One of WCF’s main target
areas is the Taï-Grebo-Krahn-Sapo Forest Complex, the largest remaining relatively intact forest
block that spans across the Ivorian and Liberian border, encompassing various protected areas (Taï
National Park and Cavally Classified Forest in Côte d’Ivoire; and Sapo National Park and the
Grebo-Krahn National Park in Liberia) and identified conservation landscape corridors.
Furthermore, WCF is active in the Krahn-Bassa Proposed Protected Area and is leading on various
national initiatives with numerous partners.
WCF’s major donors are USAID, through the West Africa Biodiversity and Climate Change
(WA BiCC) program, the German government, as well as the European Union, supporting projects
that feed into WCF’s long-term mission of enhancing the survival of the remaining wild
chimpanzee populations and their habitat. Research, law enforcement, awareness raising, capacity
building as well as livelihoods projects are WCF’s current major activities in Liberia. WCF has
three offices in Liberia: in Monrovia (HQ), in Zwedru (major activities) and at Sapo National Park.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, honest and reliable full-time Technical Advisor to support the
WCF team in Zwedru. The selected applicant will be working closely with the WA BiCC Project
Assistant and the Field Coordinator to ensure the successful implementation of various
conservation projects in the area, including giving support and training for basic computer literacy,
data management and analysis, report writing, GIS, SMART (Spatial Monitoring and Reporting
Tool), the use and maintenance of technical equipment, as well as selected administrative tasks
such as updating asset register and vehicle log books and basic IT-issues. The Technical Advisor
will be based in Zwedru.
Location: Zwedru, southeastern Liberia
- Support the WCF team in Zwedru in ensuring successful implementation of work plans,
data collection and management, as well as reporting and presentation of activities and
- Support the WCF team in Zwedru in establishing new or in maintaining existing databases
- Train the WCF team and partners in GIS, SMART (Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool)
and (statistical) data analysis, e.g. of biomonitoring data
- Support the maintenance of SMART data base and SMART reporting
- Support Monitoring & Evaluation activities (following specific project requirements)
- Develop skills and strengthen capacity of local team members to complete financial reports,
activity reports and mission/budget planning.
- Train local team members and conservation partners in basic computer literacy
- Support the administrative team in equipment inventory, maintenance and management
- Support the administrative team in monitoring vehicle movements by ensuring good
maintenance of vehicle and motorbike logbooks
- Support the WCF team in Zwedru in smooth implementation of all project activities,
following WCF procedures
- Conduct capacity assessment of local team and develop training plan for additional skills
not covered yet in current capacity building plans
Qualifications / Experience:
- MSc in the following disciplines: biology, natural resource management, environmental
sciences, forestry, or related fields
- Proven excellent knowledge of use of SMART conservation software and analysis of
scientific data, preferably in biodiversity, knowledge in DISTANCE software
- Excellent GIS and mapping skills (ArcGIS, QGIS)
- Relevant experience in working with an NGO and local communities in the environmental,
conservation or forestry sector
- Experience in designing and implementing capacity building programs
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Excellent in written and spoken English
- Good computer skills with excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Experience with USAID and EU project procedures
- Basic knowledge in Monitoring & Evaluation
- Experience working in West Africa
- Basic knowledge in French
Deadline for submission: 31st August 2019
WCF is an equal opportunity employer and particularly encourages women to apply.
Zwedru is located in the South-East of Liberia. Accommodation for the successful applicant can be
provided at the WCF office in Zwedru. The quality of life in the southeastern Liberia is impacted
by bad road conditions, poor phone networks, as well as occasional power shortages.
Applications (CV and Cover letter with names of two references) should be sent electronically via
email to [email protected] and [email protected] with the subject line “Application