The role holder will help the Project Officer to deliver an ambitious work programme in conjunction with existing staff from Natural England and Yorkshire Wildlife Trust on the Ingleborough Massif. The work will include restoring dry stone walls and installing fencing, working with volunteers and contractors to plant trees and protect plantations with fencing and develop visitor access and interpretation. There will also be some livestock management work.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Nature Reserve Management
- Deliver practical habitat restoration tasks to fulfil the project work programme including dry stone walling, tree planting, invasive species control and fencing.
- Deliver access improvement works, such as trail building, gate and interpretation installation.
- Support the management of livestock which are used to graze the site.
- Ensure built structures such as gates, fencing and walls are maintained to a high standard.
- Work with and support the local volunteer teams to deliver aspects of the project work programme including habitat management, access improvements and monitoring.
- Assist with and sometimes deliver walks and talks to the wider public in order to raise the profile of and support for the partnership and work programme.
- Assist YWT, Natural England and University of Leeds with their monitoring programmes for the Ingleborough Massif, complementing the wide range of work that is already taking place in the National Nature Reserve, with a focus on the newly acquired land and areas that are being rewilded.
- Contribute to reports to partners to summarise collected data to inform the direction of the project.
- Promote the Trust and partner organisations whenever possible.
- Demonstrate our Trust values every day behaving with courage, respect, and integrity whilst trusting others and taking responsibility for your actions at all times.
- Support and promote the Trust’s commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and adults at risk and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Abide by all Trust policies.
- Undertake any other duties as requested by your line manager and in line with the post.