San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Care Associate will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide by handling trained wildlife used in visitor presentations, public contact and educational programs. This position reports to a Wildlife Care Supervisor/Manager.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Handles trained wildlife
- Reinforces trained behavior
- Transports wildlife from compound areas to show areas
- Provides public with information and answers questions regarding wildlife
- Feeds and cares for assigned wildlife
- Cleans and maintains animal compound areas
- Exercises wildlife
- Provides general grooming of wildlife
- Prepares and feeds wildlife
- Keeps feeding records
- Administers prescribed medication and nutritional supplements
- Maintains logs and records concerning animal health and care
- Observes wildlife
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 1 – 2 years of work experience in a Zoo or similar environment where appropriate knowledge and skills in wildlife care could be acquired.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Zoology, Animal Science, Animal Management, or other related field preferred.
- Current valid California Driver’s License in good standing.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Wildlife behavior
- Care, feeding and handling of wildlife
- Safety practices around wildlife
- Animal biology; zoology
- Learn the handling and control of a variety of trained wildlife
- Discriminate differences in animal vocalizations
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public
- Keep simple records
- Effectively communicate (verbal and written)
- Operate motorized equipment and vehicles
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program