Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction. Our commitment is to provide visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park as opportunities to learn about and engage with best-in-class conservation work, and how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife everyday.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Wildlife Nutrition Coordinator will support San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance’s mission of saving species worldwide by performing a wide variety of duties associated with organizing, processing, maintaining and communicating essential wildlife nutrition information and data sets required for diet management and formulation, feed procurement and inventory. This position supports multiple job roles within Nutritional Services and reports to the Director of Nutritional Services.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Support multiple job roles within Nutritional Services, most frequently the nutritionists at each campus.
- Collect and/or record data and information on nutritionist’s clinical cases, performs diet assessments and reviews using appropriate information sources and diet management applications.
- Contribute to a continuous improvement process for sourcing feed and supplies while balancing animal welfare, environmental sustainability, and financial sustainability.
- Assures accuracy of laboratory, and additional equipment and programs needed for projects, by performing quality control, collaborating with appropriate departments, and troubleshooting equipment problems.
- Prepare, arrange, and maintain diet information for wildlife transactions.
- Collect, enter, maintain, and analyze wildlife nutrition information utilizing spreadsheet, database and third-party inventory systems.
- Coordinate the dissemination of information in response to inquiries and requests.
- Enter, organize and update nutrition records in organizational databases.
- Coordinate standardizing food item nomenclature between diet formulation, inventory control, and accounting systems.
- Collect, process, and send out non-biological samples for analysis including reviewing of results and making adjustments or referrals as needed.
- Develop and coordinate implementation of training in wildlife nutrition husbandry.
- Researches wildlife consumables and supplement related items.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is seeking an individual who is inspired to be a part of an organization that is committed to protecting wildlife around the globe. A leader to join us in our commitment to provide opportunities to learn about, engage with best-in-class conservation work, and share how that work is changing outcomes for wildlife every day through visits to the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Two years experience working with feeding and nutrition of animals preferred;
- Minimum one year experience in AZA-accredited zoo commissary/nutrition department preferred.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in wildlife science, nutrition, biological science, or a related field required.
- Valid California driver license in good standing
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Practical understanding of comparative animal nutrition and how it applies to animal health and welfare.
- Knowledge of animal nutrition, zoo animal management applications (e.g. ZIMS) and diet record keeping is required.
- General knowledge of USDA guidelines and HCCAP guidelines is highly desirable.
- Must have strong organizational, record keeping and time management skill to undertake multiple tasks at once.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to communicate and collaborate effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Able to operate moderately complex computer software programs.
- Able to prepare and make presentations to large groups.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Location: San Diego Zoo – Nutrition Department
- Duration: Year round
- Non Union position: Hourly rate commensurate with experience
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time.