This is a non-exempt, full-time position of Wildlife Technician whose responsibility is to ensure that all animals at CWC receive adequate and appropriate husbandry care. To implement protocols, procedures, medical evaluations and treatment of native California animals as set by CWC management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Performs intake examinations, basic diagnostic procedures, and creates treatment plans for incoming patients
- Administers medical treatments according to CWC policies
- Maintains and updates animal patient care records
- Fulfills daily care plans for wildlife patients, including but not limited to nutritional, caging, rehabilitative and medical needs
- Ensures that enclosures and facilities are cleaned and maintained daily.
- Supervises, manages, and trains volunteers, interns and externs; delegates and ensures satisfactory completion of tasks
- Ensures that protocols that minimize the risk of contraction of zoonotic diseases are adhered to
- Assists the veterinarian with animal care, treatments and procedures
- Admits animals from the public and provides assistance both in person and over the phone regarding animal rescues, transport, emergency care and nuisance wildlife situations
- Coordinates animal releases as needed
- Checks hospital voicemail and text messages
Education and Experience:
- 3+ years of employment at a wildlife rehabilitation center including experience working with wild avian patients is required.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with co-workers, volunteers, interns, externs and the general public.
- Must be able to provide a friendly, tolerant environment for staff, volunteers, interns and externs.
- Must be able to work quickly, efficiently and calmly under stressful conditions.
- Must be able to handle multiple responsibilities.
- Must possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a valid California State driver’s license, with a clean record to be insured by our insurance.
- Upon hire, pass a background check.
- Must have experience managing volunteers in a working environment.