This listing has expired.
ZSL is seeking a Qualified Animal Keeper – Bird trainer and presenter on the HUB region of the animal department, working mainly Birds of the world display but also spending time on, farm and Keeper for a Day.
The main role of the HUB Animal Keeper position is to manage the day-to-day operational duties relating to animal husbandry and visitor interaction within the HUB Section specifically Bird displays but also other areas of the HUB including farm and also our Keeper for a Day. This is directed day to day by the section Team Leader or other key senior animal department staff within the section.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will also be expected to:
- Observe the behaviour, health and security of animals and report any problems to the Team Leader or manager including defects or repairs required to enclosures and relevant departments required to support work needed.
- Assist with the preparation of approved diets and carrying out the correct feeding procedures.
- Cleaning and maintaining of exhibits and other designated areas.
- Training of avian species and other animals for husbandry or display purposes
- Present live animal events to the zoo visitors
- Cover other areas of the HUB as required, Keeper for a Day, Farm.
The successful candidate will:
- Have practical experience of animal training for displays.
- Have proven experience and deep understanding of modern training techniques.
- Be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of husbandry techniques of birds but also other taxa.
- Be confident a presenting to large and varied zoo audiences and also engaging on a smaller scale.
- Have a willingness to work on evolving husbandry management to include positive re-enforcement training for behavioural management and varied methods of enrichment for a range of species.
- Have knowledge and experience of practical animal handing.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and a pro-active approach to completing tasks beneficial to the section/department without always waiting to be asked.
- Have a qualification in a relevant field at university level and/or diploma in the DZMAA Keeper’s course or equivalent work experience.
- Be reliable and have good timekeeping and attendance record and able to demonstrate professionalism and excellent team ethic.
Please note: Flexible working is required for this position which will include working alternate weekends and bank holidays. Applicant must also be presentable, flexible in their approach and totally reliable. A full manual driving license is also required.