This listing has expired.
An opportunity has arisen for an Education Officer/Zoo Keeper to join Amazonia, Scotland’s Indoor Tropical Rainforest, North Lanarkshire.
Amazonia is a tropical house collection, exhibiting various species of taxa including primates, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
Amazonia is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to implement an interesting and exciting education programme aimed at improving public understanding of the natural world.
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Continue with our current education strategy, addressing all forms of education, including development ofnew programs
- Organise and deliver education activities, seasonal activities and presentations for zoo visitors
- Deliver national curriculum-linked teaching to a range of age groups
- Make educational outreach visits to schools and other institutions
- Assist in the organisation of zoo events
- Develop and organise the team of volunteers
- Prepare and develop educational resources
- Develop Amazonia’s interpretation and signage
- Carry out general keeper duties, including the care of various primates, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, invertebrates and the tropical gardens.
NECESSARY SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Experience of working with a range of exotic species, including primates, birds and reptiles.
- Motivated individual who can work alone and as part of a team
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (e.g. biology, zoology, conservation, environmental science, science education)
- A minimum of 2 years experience working within a zoological collection
- Experience of teaching at a range of levels
- Awareness of the role of zoos in environmental education and biodiversity conservation
- Excellent presentation, communication and inter-personal skills
- Excellent written English
- Computing skills including Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Flexible approach to work and ability to work under pressure
- Excellent customer service skills
- High understanding of health and safety within the work place
- Full clean driving license
This is a full time permanent position, working 40 hours a week, with 28 days annual holiday. Applicant must be willing to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends as required.
Salary: Dependant on experience.
To apply for this position please e-mail your covering letter and CV to Amandag@scotlandsthemepark.com
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 2nd December 2020. Interviews will be held within the week commencing Monday 7th December 2020. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, interviews may be held via phone and video call.