Communications For Conservation Projects
Learn how to plan and deliver effective communications activities; making you more employable and impactful as a professional conservationist.
What are Conservation Career-Boosters?
Conservation Career-Boosters are a growing range of short online courses to start, switch or speed up your career as a professional wildlife conservationist. To date, we’ve shared 29,767 conservation jobs, and identified the top skills that are sought after by conservation employers across the globe.
The goal of each Conservation Career-Booster is to learn highly applicable knowledge which can be applied to a broad range of early-career conservation jobs. Each course focusses on a key skill, proven to make you more employable, competitive and effective in your career.
The content is produced following a detailed analysis of exactly what employers are looking for within each skills. Covering the essential ‘need-to-know’ knowledge, they are designed to be quick and easy to follow; including examples and practical tasks to reinforce your learning. They also include ways for you to get experience applying the skills, so you can showcase them to employers in your application forms, CVs or Resumes.
Finally, each Conservation Career-Booster is taught by a hand-picked industry-expert, who explains clearly and simply how things are done in-practice within the conservation industry. They don’t teach idealistic theory, but focus on practical and actionable skills which you can readily apply in your work.
"Saving the planet is now a communications challenge"
Sir David Attenborough | Sept 2020
Introducing 'Communications for Conservation Projects'
This is an online course brought to you by the team at Conservation Careers. The structure of the course follows a detailed analysis of what employers are looking for when hiring early-career conservationists, and is taught by communications guru Lloyd Gofton.
During the course you’ll learn, how to:
- Produce a communications plan for conservation projects.
- Write engaging copy about conservation projects.
- Get press and media coverage for conservation projects.
- Build and engage audiences on social media for conservation projects.
- Create content to support conservation campaigns.
- Measure the success of your communications activities.
Why Is Communications Important In Your Career?
Within conservation there is a growing realisation that we need to do much more to share our messages and encourage more support and action. As a result, conservation employers are rapidly looking for people with communications skills.
They want staff who can plan communications activities, write effectively, get press and media attention, engage audiences on social media, deliver campaigns, write blogs, produce podcasts and more.
We analysed 29,767 conservation jobs, from over 100 countries, and 41% explicitly wanted people with communications skills or experience. Of these, 2,726 were communications specialist roles like Communications Officers. Marketing Managers or Social Media Officers.
If you want to succeed as a professional conservationist you need communications skills.
“We have to start going to the masses. Like Sir David Attenborough was able to do with plastic pollution though Blue Planet, we need to do with the rest of the things"...
"How is it possible that the loss of biodiversity is the biggest problem on Earth and people don’t see it?”
Patricia Zurita | CEO of BirdLife International
Inside 'Communications for Conservation Projects'
Six Step-by-Step Modules to attack at your own pace. You’ll learn how to plan and deliver effective communications, as part of your duties as a conservation professional. A new module is released each week. Find out more below.
Support from the experts. You’ll have support from us via email, Zoom, and in our private CC Pro community. We’ll be with you every step of the way. Find out more below.
Go at your own pace. With our self-paced flexibility, you’ll have access to the course for a full year. You can work entirely at your own pace and around your busy life and work commitments. You don’t need to stick to a schedule.
CC Pro community. You’ll be welcomed into our new private online community for three months. Get answers to burning questions, enjoy regular live events, participate in growth challenges, share your coursework, celebrate your successes and more. Find out more below.
Certificate. Everyone who completes the course receives a certificate.
Rock-solid guarantee. Try it for 14 days. Not happy for whatever reason? We will refund 100% of your money.
Lloyd is your key trainer on the course. He has over 20 years of communications experience built in the agency sector across public relations, social media, content marketing, digital marketing and strategy disciplines.
During his career, he has worked with a variety of brands including O2, WWF, Greenpeace, RSPCA, Virgin Atlantic, Samsung, Honda and Pizza Express as well as a wide range of challenger brands.
He started out in PR in 1998 and launched his first communications agency, Liberate Media, in 2006. The agency was one of the first in the UK to combine PR, social media and content marketing services, running campaigns in the UK and across Europe, The Middle East, Africa, North America, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Lloyd also volunteers for Marine Conservation, African Wildlife Conservation and Animal Welfare organisations.
Dr Nick Askew
Nick is the Founder and Director of Conservation Careers and holds a PhD in the behavioural ecology of Barn Owls.
As a professional conservationist over the past 20 years he has worked across the Academic, Private, Public, Charity and Enterprise sectors.
During his career, he has raised over £2,500,000 for conservation projects across 120 countries, and has ten years’ experience in professional communications and marketing within the conservation sector.
Nick’s work involved promoting the work of BirdLife International – the largest conservation partnership in the world – to a global audience using press releases , social media, content marketing and digital marketing.
He can’t wait to help you take your communications activities to the next level to be a better conservationist, and become more employable.
Kristi is the Head of Engagement at Conservation Careers and has a Master´s in Conservation Biology.
Her conservation work has led to Africa, UK, Australia and Latin America, including 8 years’ experience in science and creative communications in support of people and nature.
She has developed science communications for the World Agroforestry Centre (Kenya), acted as Communications Officer with Fauna & Flora International (UK)’s Business & Biodiversity Programme, and promoted ecotourism for Ecotourism Australia.
She has authored over 75 environmental blog posts, news stories, media releases, presentations and articles. She is also a Co-Founder of Terra Incognita, which uses storytelling to promote ethical ecotourism.
Kristi is passionate about helping conservationists find and fulfil their potential in the sector, and is looking forward to helping you build your communications skills!
Module 1 | How to produce a communications plan for conservation projects?
This module will cover:
- Research | Where are you today?
- Objectives | Where do you want to be?
- Audiences | Who are you talking to?
- Messaging and tactics | What are you saying and how are you going to say it?
- Activity | Who is doing what?
- Measurement – How to identify outcomes, and evolve the campaign accordingly?
Module outcome | A clear understanding of how to pull the elements of your campaign together into a cohesive programme that delivers success.
Module 2 | How to write engaging copy about conservation projects?
- Writing for press | Understanding writing styles and grabbing attention.
- Quote development | Getting your message across in a clear, concise and engaging manner.
- Articles and features | The key to developing opinion pieces and how to assist journalists with their features.
- Writing for non-press audiences | The differing styles of public, corporate and public sector audiences.
- Developing written content | Writing email marketing, blogs, social media and deeper content pieces.
Module 3 | How to get press and media coverage for conservation projects?
This module will cover:
- The number one rule of achieving press coverage | No spoilers here! Find out more in the course.
- Getting your pitch right | The art of storytelling to press audiences.
- Identifying your press targets | Who will be interested in your story?
- Managing your story to completion | Tips to take you from interesting angles to published articles
- Article publication | Your job isn’t done when the article is published. What happens next?
Module outcome | Ready to approach journalists and deliver media coverage that will make a difference to your campaign.
Module 4 | How to build and engage audiences on social media for conservation projects?
This module will cover:
- Exposing social media myths | From fake news to fake users. What is the truth about social communications?
- Which social networks are right for your campaign? | Does age define which social networks your community uses, or is it more complicated than that?
- The profile of a social community member | Who do they trust? How do they behave? Why will they listen to you?
- How to build a social media community | Why is a social community the goal but social followers are often the reality?
- Developing a social strategy | What are you going to do with your social community?
Module outcome | The insight to build an engaged social community.
Module 5 | How to create content to support conservation projects?
This module will focus on:
- Building a content strategy | All you need is time, tools and talent.
- Which types of content should you use in your campaign? | Matching your communities’ interests to your organisation’s goals.
- Creativity is great, but relevance is more important | Don’t make pretty things, make useful things.
- Is it worth bringing in external support? | Why allocating resource to develop great content is usually a good investment.
- Understanding the impact of your content | Making sure your content isn’t ‘fire and forget’.
Module outcome | The knowledge to develop content that will supercharge your campaign.
Module 6 | How to measure the success of your communications activities?
This module will focus on:
- The foundations of communications measurement | A great place to start when measuring campaign performance.
- The principles of international PR measurement | The guidelines that many PR organisations adhere to worldwide.
- Social Media measurement and metrics | When everything can be measured in a social environment, where do you begin?
- Measuring the impact of content and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) | Looking beyond launch metrics to understand content engagement.
- Establishing a scoring system | If you can’t communicate your campaign outcomes, you’ve failed to communicate.
Module outcome | An insiders understanding of campaign measurement, metrics and techniques.
Bonus #1 | Top Tips for putting it all into practice
This bonus module Nick and Lloyd discuss and share their top tips for implementing the course, and getting evidence of your communications skills for your CVs and Resumes.
- Starting your own blog
- Getting feedback on your writing
- Entering competitions
- Becoming an influencer
- Starting your own campaign
- And much more…
Bonus #2 | CC Pro!
Join our totally new private, growing community of aspiring and professional conservationists in CC Pro. You’ll be welcomed into our private community. Get answers to burning questions, enjoy regular live events, participate in growth challenges, share your coursework, celebrate your successes and more. You’re not alone in this.
Inside Conservation Careers Pro
Monthly challenges that encourage, support, and reward member growth. Private channels for focused discussions among member cohorts. Private 1:1 messaging between community members. It’s a safe space.
You’ll get access to our growing list of recorded webinars and workshops, plus an events calendar which you can subscribe to and come along to, such as Q&As, Ask us Anything, hotseats & more. Hang out with us.
Submit your tasks directly into CC Pro for feedback from your course guides, ask questions, and ensure you’re getting the most out of the course. Stay on track.
Direct Access to CC Team
We’re here to help, guide, encourage and support you all the way to career success in the sector. You’re not alone.
Who is the course for?
Have you always had a passion for wildlife and want to work in nature conservation, but don’t know where to start? You might be working in a totally unrelated field right now, and need some clarity on what’s needed to get going. We’re here to provide you with the key skills sought-after by conservation employers.
Are you currently at university or college, and planning to try and find work in the conservation sector when you finish? There’s no better time to start building the key skills which employers are looking for in the sector, so you can hit the ground running on your graduation day.
Are you working as a professional conservationist, and wanting to improve your communications skills, be better in your role and improve your career prospects? Through the course you'll learn how to confidently plan and deliver effective communications activities as a key part of your job.
Are you currently hunting for a conservation job but struggling? The course will help you to stand out from the crowd better, by learning key skills sought after by 41% of conservation employers.
The course starts when you enroll.
All the modules are pre-recorded so you can work at entirely your own pace and you have access to the modules for a FULL YEAR. So there’s no rush if life comes along and gets in the way.
We’re also holding two live events to answer your questions, and go deeper into key topics. If you can’t make them, you’ll be sent the recordings to watch back in your own time.
We’ve worked hard to fast-track your learnings and condense everything into just what you need to know. All shortcuts, no extra fluff.
You have access to the course videos for the full year of your membership to the site, so you don’t have to do a module a week if it doesn’t suit your schedule for any reason.
- If you have always had a passion for wildlife and want to work in nature conservation, but don’t know where to start. You might be working in a totally unrelated field right now, and need some clarity on what’s needed to get going. We’re here to provide you with the key skills sought-after by conservation employers.
- If you’re currently working as a professional conservationist, and wanting to improve your communications skills be better in your role and improve your career prospects. Through the course you’ll learn how to confidently plan and deliver effective communications activities as a key part of your job.
- If you are currently at university or college, and planning to try and find work in the conservation sector when you finish. There’s no better time to start building the key skills which employers are looking for in the sector, so you can hit the ground running on your graduation day.
- If you are currently hunting for a conservation job but struggling. The course will help you to stand out from the crowd better, by learning key skills sought after by 41% of conservation employers.
You’ll have support from us via email, two live Zoom events, and in our private CC Pro community. We’ll be with you every step of the way and pride ourselves to go the extra mile to give people the support they need.
The regular cost for the course is $495 / £375 / €450, but you can get it now for just $330 / £250 / €300. That’s 33% off till Sunday Feb 26th 2023!
This includes a years’ access to CC Pro and the training materials and support. We believe the course will save you huge amounts of time and money and get you hired quicker.
Once you sign up you’ll get a confirmation email with full details about the course, your modules and invites to the CC Pro Community and two live Q&A events. If you miss a live event, we’ll send you a recording.
If within 14 days, if you are unhappy for whatever reason just email us and you will receive a full refund.
I’m afraid we’re not offering scholarships or student discounts at this time.
We’ve helped some of the biggest names in conservation
We work with hundreds of conservation employers from across the globe to find new staff. We are also teaching career-planning and employability skills at over 40 universities and higher-education institutions.
What do people think of the course?
What they are saying
More Kinds Words...
“I joined Communications for Conservation Projects in December 2021, and it’s been nothing short of life-changing. That may seem exaggerated, but in fact, it’s entirely true. I joined the course as a follow-on from the Conservation Career Kick-Starter programme, where I firmly cemented that my ‘career compass’ was pointing in the direction of working in the Conservation Communications sector. I used the course to ‘fill the gaps’ in my knowledge and career experience, thanks to the opportunity to study real-world, worked examples of effective communications strategies; and gain access to a professional PR and Communications expert with significant experience. This access to information and knowledge is second to none, and teamed with challenging and engaging tasks where tailored feedback is offered, plus access to a growing community of fellow learners and peers; it made this a much more valuable and bespoke experience than I was expecting.
“Thanks to this course, I have just secured a dream job as Head of Communications for a UK based conservation charity, and I have been able to perform confidently both at work and at interview stage, drawing directly upon my learning from this course!” Kate Stephenson (Kate On Conservation), UK.
“I’m writing to let you know that, after two and a half years of volunteering and taking courses, I’m about to start my first job with a conservation charity! Thanks to my participation in the Communications for Conservation Projects course I’ve just started as Communications Manager at the World Cetacean Alliance. I’m thrilled to be starting my career in wildlife conservation and feel very grateful for your expert advice and support along the way. Thank you!” Miki Tillett, UK, Cohort 1.
“Just wanted to reach out and say thank you so much to you and Lloyd for creating the conservation communications course. I recently secured a job for the Cornwall Seal Group Research Trust as a Marine Stories Ranger … a large part of why they were impressed was because of my participation in the course and the skills it has equipped me with. I know you like to hear feedback, so just wanted to let you know. Thanks again!” Charlie Gill, UK, Cohort 1.
Whether you want to raise awareness on a conservation issue, fundraise for a conservation project, or attract new supporters, the Communications for Conservation Projects course takes you step by step through the media campaign process. Real-life examples and guidance from experts give you a solid launch pad and clear direction for your own campaigns. Enroll and get ready for take-off! Tracy Brighten, Cohort 1.
The course provides you with the tools needed to create a communications project and help it reach a wide audience. Susan Dugan, USA, Cohort 1.
Excellent preparation if you are considering a role in communications, but also very helpful if your role is not directly in communication (e.g. conservation scientist) as it will improve your understanding of the communication processes. Sonja Ludwig, UK, Cohort 1.
A really good course to help you understand the lifecycle of a communications or media project. The modules take you from start to finish of the process making it easy to understand! Emily Fox, UK, Cohort 1.
Great course, really well taught, easy to follow and great that you can complete at your own pace. Lloyd’s emails were always open and he was a great support. Would definitely recommend- especially to Zoology graduates like myself, who learnt virtually nothing about communications in their degree, but need to know heaps about it for future jobs- I learnt a lot of really valuable information in this course! Jodie Velarde, UK, Cohort 1.
That the course is very useful and not only for conservation careers, but communication and PR are a fundamental part of many different jobs. Eleonora Rovegno, Italy, Cohort 1.
There is much more to communications than you would think, this course breaks it down and makes things make sense! Cary Googind, Colorado, USA, Cohort 1.
The structure allows you to learn at your own pace and Nick & Lloyd are so supportive, don’t hesitate because you’ve not done anything like it before. Rebecca Salt, UK, Cohort 1.
How much does it cost?
The regular cost for the course is $495 / £375 / €450, but you can get it now for just $330 / £250 / €300 until Sunday Feb 26th. That’s 33% off!
The course also comes with a 14-day 100% money-back guarantee.
If within 14 days, if you are unhappy for whatever reason just email us and you will receive a full refund. No questions asked.
Are you ready?
To sign up before the programme closes, please choose your currency below.