Conservation Career-Booster | Communications For Conservation Projects
"Saving the planet is now a communications challenge"
Sir David Attenborough | Sept 2020
What are Conservation Career-Boosters?
Conservation Career-Boosters are a growing range of short online courses to start, switch or speed up your career as a professional wildlife conservationist. To date, we’ve shared 29,767 conservation jobs, and identified the top skills that are sought after by conservation employers across the globe.
The goal of each Conservation Career-Booster is to learn highly applicable knowledge which can be applied to a broad range of early-career conservation jobs. Each course focusses on a key skill, proven to make you more employable, competitive and effective in your career.
The content is produced following a detailed analysis of exactly what employers are looking for within each skills. Covering the essential ‘need-to-know’ knowledge, they are designed to be quick and easy to follow; including examples and practical tasks to reinforce your learning. They also include ways for you to get experience applying the skills, so you can showcase them to employers in your application forms, CVs or Resumes.
Finally, each Conservation Career-Booster is taught by a hand-picked industry-expert, who explains clearly and simply how things are done in-practice within the conservation industry. They don’t teach idealistic theory, but focus on practical and actionable skills which you can readily apply in your work.
Enrollment Closes in ...
Why Is Communications Important In Your Career?
Within conservation there is a growing realisation that we need to do much more to share our messages and encourage more support and action. As a result, conservation employers are rapidly looking for people with communications skills.
They want staff who can plan communications activities, write effectively, get press and media attention, engage audiences on social media, deliver campaigns, write blogs, produce podcasts and more.
We analysed 29,767 conservation jobs, from over 100 countries, and 41% explicitly wanted people with communications skills or experience. Of these, 2,726 were communications specialist roles like Communications Officers. Marketing Managers or Social Media Officers.
If you want to succeed as a professional conservationist you need communications skills.
“We have to start going to the masses. Like Sir David Attenborough was able to do with plastic pollution though Blue Planet, we need to do with the rest of the things"...
"How is it possible that the loss of biodiversity is the biggest problem on Earth and people don’t see it?”
Patricia Zurita | CEO of BirdLife International
The Conservation Career-Booster | Communications for Conservation Projects
The goal of this course is to help you confidently be able to plan and deliver effective communications activities, during your career as a wildlife conservationist. Making you more employable, competitive and better at your job.
The structure of the course follows a detailed analysis of what employers are looking for when hiring early-career conservationists.
During the course you’ll learn, how to:
- Produce a communications plan for conservation projects.
- Write engaging copy about conservation projects.
- Get press and media coverage for conservation projects.
- Build and engage audiences on social media for conservation projects.
- Create content to support conservation campaigns.
- Measure the success of your communications activities.
Alongside the course content, each Conservation Career-Booster includes:
- Support from our team. You’ll have support from us (see profiles below) via email, Zoom, and in our private Facebook group. We’ll be with you every step of the way.
- Six Step-by-Step Modules to attack at your own pace. You’ll learn how to plan and deliver effective communications, as part of your duties as a conservation professional. A new module is released each week.
- Access to a growing online community of students from across the globe to share ideas, ask questions and support one another.
- Each module includes tasks carefully designed to practice and refine key skills covered in the course.
- A year’s membership to the Conservation Careers Academy (worth £40). This gives you access to around 8,000 opportunities (jobs, volunteering, Internships, courses and more), our CV talent pool, online forum, TWO eBooks and much more…! More details below.
- Rock-solid guarantee: Try it for 14 days. Not happy for whatever reason? We will refund 100% of your money.
- Certificate. Everyone who completes the course receives a certificate.
Lloyd is your key trainer on the course. He has over 20 years of communications experience built in the agency sector across public relations, social media, content marketing, digital marketing and strategy disciplines.
During his career, he has worked with a variety of brands including O2, WWF, Greenpeace, RSPCA, Virgin Atlantic, Samsung, Honda and Pizza Express as well as a wide range of challenger brands.
He started out in PR in 1998 and launched his first communications agency, Liberate Media, in 2006. The agency was one of the first in the UK to combine PR, social media and content marketing services, running campaigns in the UK and across Europe, The Middle East, Africa, North America, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
Lloyd also volunteers for Marine Conservation, African Wildlife Conservation and Animal Welfare organisations.
Dr Nick Askew
Nick is the Founder and Director of Conservation Careers and holds a PhD in the behavioural ecology of Barn Owls.
As a professional conservationist over the past 20 years he has worked across the Academic, Private, Public, Charity and Enterprise sectors.
During his career, he has raised over £2,500,000 for conservation projects across 120 countries, and has ten years’ experience in professional communications and marketing within the conservation sector.
Nick’s work involved promoting the work of BirdLife International – the largest conservation partnership in the world – to a global audience using press releases , social media, content marketing and digital marketing.
He can’t wait to help you take your communications activities to the next level to be a better conservationist, and become more employable.
Kristi is the Head of Engagement at Conservation Careers and has a Master´s in Conservation Biology.
Her conservation work has led to Africa, UK, Australia and Latin America, including 8 years’ experience in science and creative communications in support of people and nature.
She has developed science communications for the World Agroforestry Centre (Kenya), acted as Communications Officer with Fauna & Flora International (UK)’s Business & Biodiversity Programme, and promoted ecotourism for Ecotourism Australia.
She has authored over 75 environmental blog posts, news stories, media releases, presentations and articles. She is also a Co-Founder of Terra Incognita, which uses storytelling to promote ethical ecotourism.
Kristi is passionate about helping conservationists find and fulfil their potential in the sector, and is looking forward to helping you build your communications skills!
Six step-by-step Modules to successful communications in Conservation
Module 1 | How to produce a communications plan for conservation
This module will cover:
- Research | Where are you today?
- Objectives | Where do you want to be?
- Audiences | Who are you talking to?
- Messaging and tactics | What are you saying and how are you going to say it?
- Activity | Who is doing what?
- Measurement – How to identify outcomes, and evolve the campaign accordingly?
Module outcome | A clear understanding of how to pull the elements of your campaign together into a cohesive programme that delivers success.
Module 2 | How to write engaging copy about conservation projects?
- Writing for press | Understanding writing styles and grabbing attention.
- Quote development | Getting your message across in a clear, concise and engaging manner.
- Articles and features | The key to developing opinion pieces and how to assist journalists with their features.
- Writing for non-press audiences | The differing styles of public, corporate and public sector audiences.
- Developing written content | Writing email marketing, blogs, social media and deeper content pieces.
Module 3 | How to get press and media coverage for conservation projects?
This module will cover:
- The number one rule of achieving press coverage | No spoilers here! Find out more in the course.
- Getting your pitch right | The art of storytelling to press audiences.
- Identifying your press targets | Who will be interested in your story?
- Managing your story to completion | Tips to take you from interesting angles to published articles
- Article publication | Your job isn’t done when the article is published. What happens next?
Module outcome | Ready to approach journalists and deliver media coverage that will make a difference to your campaign.
Module 4 | How to build and engage audiences on social media for conservation projects?
This module will cover:
- Exposing social media myths | From fake news to fake users. What is the truth about social communications?
- Which social networks are right for your campaign? | Does age define which social networks your community uses, or is it more complicated than that?
- The profile of a social community member | Who do they trust? How do they behave? Why will they listen to you?
- How to build a social media community | Why is a social community the goal but social followers are often the reality?
- Developing a social strategy | What are you going to do with your social community?
Module outcome | The insight to build an engaged social community.
Module 5 | How to create content to support conservation projects?
This module will focus on:
- Building a content strategy | All you need is time, tools and talent.
- Which types of content should you use in your campaign? | Matching your communities’ interests to your organisation’s goals.
- Creativity is great, but relevance is more important | Don’t make pretty things, make useful things.
- Is it worth bringing in external support? | Why allocating resource to develop great content is usually a good investment.
- Understanding the impact of your content | Making sure your content isn’t ‘fire and forget’.
Module outcome | The knowledge to develop content that will supercharge your campaign.
Module 6 | How to measure the success of your communications activities?
This module will focus on:
- The foundations of communications measurement | A great place to start when measuring campaign performance.
- The principles of international PR measurement | The guidelines that many PR organisations adhere to worldwide.
- Social Media measurement and metrics | When everything can be measured in a social environment, where do you begin?
- Measuring the impact of content and KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) | Looking beyond launch metrics to understand content engagement.
- Establishing a scoring system | If you can’t communicate your campaign outcomes, you’ve failed to communicate.
Module outcome | An insiders understanding of campaign measurement, metrics and techniques.
SPECIAL BONUS #1 | The Conservation Careers Academy
The Conservation Careers Academy contains the best career-boosting resources, training and support from the leading experts in the conservation industry. As a member you’ll have peace of mind knowing you’re getting your career on the right track quickly, and that you’re not alone. Included in the Conservation Careers Academy are 11 ways to make saving the planet your day job.
SPECIAL BONUS #2 | Two Career-Boosting Guides
Careers Advice Compendium
You’ll get our careers advice uber-guide jam-packed with honest, accurate and useful advice for those seeking to conserve the environment through their work.
It includes top career tips based on interviews with 342 professional conservationists from around the world with over 1,734 combined years of experience.
If you’re hunting for a job, or looking to switch careers into conservation, it’s a must read.
How to apply for a conservation job?
As a participant you’ll also enjoy our complete guide to producing successful CVs, Resumes and Cover Letters
Whether you’re applying for your first professional experience or shifting careers into conservation, this step-by-step guide will help you write a killer application designed to get you an interview.
Throughout the eBook, you’ll find exercises, tips and links to extra resources. You can work through the guide from beginning to end, or jump to the sections you need most. It also includes CV, Resume and Cover Letter examples for you to learn from (aka copy!)
Who is the course for?
Have you always had a passion for wildlife and want to work in nature conservation, but don’t know where to start? You might be working in a totally unrelated field right now, and need some clarity on what’s needed to get going. We’re here to provide you with the key skills sought-after by conservation employers.
Are you currently at university or college, and planning to try and find work in the conservation sector when you finish? There’s no better time to start building the key skills which employers are looking for in the sector, so you can hit the ground running on your graduation day.
Are you working as a professional conservationist, and wanting to improve your communications skills, be better in your role and improve your career prospects? Through the course you'll learn how to confidently plan and deliver effective communications activities as a key part of your job.
Are you currently hunting for a conservation job but struggling? The course will help you to stand out from the crowd better, by learning key skills sought after by 41% of conservation employers.
The course starts on 30th November with a live welcome event and the release of Module 1. Enrollment closes at midnight on 27th November (Friday).
After the live event, new modules are released each Monday, and there will be a pause week around Christmas to reflect, ask questions, and well … enjoy Christmas!
All the modules are pre-recorded so you can work at entirely your own pace and you have access to the modules for a FULL YEAR. So there’s no rush if life comes along and gets in the way.
If you miss a live event or can’t make it, we’ll send you a recording. Don’t worry.
We’ve worked hard to fast-track your learnings and condense everything into just what you need to know. All shortcuts, no extra fat.
You have access to the course videos for the full year of your membership to the site, so you don’t have to do a module a week if it doesn’t suit your schedule for any reason.
- If you have always had a passion for wildlife and want to work in nature conservation, but don’t know where to start. You might be working in a totally unrelated field right now, and need some clarity on what’s needed to get going. We’re here to provide you with the key skills sought-after by conservation employers.
- If you’re currently working as a professional conservationist, and wanting to improve your communications skills be better in your role and improve your career prospects. Through the course you’ll learn how to confidently plan and deliver effective communications activities as a key part of your job.
- If you are currently at university or college, and planning to try and find work in the conservation sector when you finish. There’s no better time to start building the key skills which employers are looking for in the sector, so you can hit the ground running on your graduation day.
- If you are currently hunting for a conservation job but struggling. The course will help you to stand out from the crowd better, by learning key skills sought after by 41% of conservation employers.
You’ll have support from us via email, Zoom, and in our private Facebook group. We’ll be with you every step of the way.
The cost for the course is £195.
Once you sign up you’ll get a confirmation email with full details about the course, the schedule and invites to the private Facebook Group and live events.
If within 14 days, if you are unhappy for whatever reason just email us and you will receive a full refund.
- Module 1 released – with a special live event on Monday 30 Nov 2020 at 7:30 pm UK via Zoom.
- Module 2 released 7 Dec 2020.
- Module 3 released 14 Dec 2020.
- Christmas pause week, and a live Q&A on Monday 21 Dec 2020 at 7:30 pm UK via Zoom.
- Module 4 released 28 Dec 2020.
- Module 5 released 4 Jan 2021.
- Module 6 released 11 Jan 2021.
Yes, we will run the course again, but we don’t know when yet.
I’m afraid we’re not offering scholarships or student discounts at this time.
We’ve helped some of the biggest names in conservation
We work with hundreds of conservation employers from across the globe to find new staff. We are also teaching career-planning and employability skills at over 40 universities and higher-education institutions.
How much does it cost?
The cost for the course is just £195.
This includes support, a year’s membership to the Conservation Careers Academy (worth £40), eBooks (worth nearly £30) along with all the other bonus content listed above.
The course also comes with a 14-day 100% money-back guarantee.
If within 14 days, if you are unhappy for whatever reason just email us and you will receive a full refund. No questions asked.