Join the DAKTARI team for 6-12 months!
What is DAKTARI?
DAKTARI Bush School & Wildlife Orphanage works in the South African bush to educate local children about the environment and ignite their passion for wildlife. Each week, DAKTARI welcomes eight new students to our camp to attend lessons, do activities, and interact with the animals in our wildlife orphanage. The wildlife orphanage is home to more than 80 animals that are unable to survive in the bush. They live out their lives at DAKTARI, acting as animal ambassadors to the children. DAKTARI also has an outreach program that extends our work into the local villages. We host weekly Eco Clubs at the local secondary schools as well as running a job-hunting program and community development projects.
As a nonprofit organisation, DAKTARI is always looking for opportunities for funding, either to sustain our programs or grow them (like getting cleaning products from Ecologic!). We need someone who can assist our directors with applying for grants and reporting back on those we receive.
You will learn everything there is to know about DAKTARI and put that knowledge into proposals and reports. Fundraising is a competitive area with many challenges. This is a big job!
Your job will include:
- Working with directors to create and update proposals for potential funders
- Researching and identifying possible funding opportunities
- Working with the marketing manager to create promotional materials and maintain the DAKTARI brand
- Preparing reports for our funders on use of funds
- Compiling data about DAKTARI’s activities
- Assisting the directors with monitoring and evaluation data to measure DAKTARI’s impact
- You must speak, read and write English fluently
- You must be comfortable with Mac computers and Microsoft Office
- You must be confident telephoning potential donors
- Strong communications skills, especially in writing
- Strong research skills
- Previous experience in fundraising is a huge plus
Although this position is unpaid you will receive three delicious meals a day prepared by our experienced kitchen staff and your own room in our rustic but comfortable camp. You will have access to wifi through your work computer and will receive free wifi on another device. Saturday and Sundays are your days off and every eight weeks you get a week off to explore what South Africa has to offer!
How to apply:
If you are interested in this position please email your CV and cover letter to email@example.com