About Living Oceans
Living Oceans Society has been a leader in the effort to protect Canada’s oceans since we formed in 1998.
Founded in Sointula, a small fishing village on the Central Coast of British Columbia, our influence has grown to be national. Living on the coast, we are reminded each day that it’s not just about the fish—it’s about the fish and the people. We advocate for oceans that are managed for the common good, according to science-based policies that consider ecosystems in their entirety.
Our contributions are helping to reduce harmful human impacts on the ocean.
To support this vision, Living Oceans Society:
- Engages in scientific, social and economic research to ensure our campaigns are grounded in fact and our solutions are science-based
- Interprets scientific data for diverse audiences through maps, reports and other publications, so that all stakeholders can be informed and involved in decision-making
- Engages with government, industry and the people who live and work on the coast to create viable solutions to conservation issues
- Promotes sound public policy and corporate social responsibility
- Enables coastal communities to protect the ocean resources they depend upon.