Start your career in conservation
- When: 20th - 21st March 2021 inclusive. 9 am-6 pm each day.
- Where: Preston Montford Field Centre, Shropshire, SY4 1DX.
- Who: Students, job-seekers, career switchers, career explorers.
Overview: The Conservation Career Kickstarter
Give your conservation career a huge boost with a unique two-day residential training course designed to increase your chances of employment within the competitive conservation sector.
Get your career on track with the Conservation Careers Kick-starter designed to help you understand the job market, to navigate your career options, and to get hired more quickly. You'll leave with a personal career plan which will get your career on track.
With Conservation Careers, you will ...
Develop a personal career plan to guide you on your conservation job hunt and make you super-competitive. This includes:
- Getting a detailed understanding of the conservation job market and working through a series of tasks designed to help you identify the right job for you.
- Identifying the education, knowledge and experience you need for your chosen job, and how to fill any gaps quickly.
- Learning how to successfully apply for a conservation job, including how to write the perfect cover letter and CV.
- Understanding how to deliver a great interview which will get you hired (and how to keep your nerves in check...).
Is it right for you?
The course is designed for:
- Job-Seekers - Such as under-graduates and post-graduates looking for that first paying role in wildlife conservation.
- Career Switchers - People looking to switch into conservation from a totally different sector, but don’t know where to start and need a helping hand.
- Career Explorers - Those doing an unrelated course or training right now, but feel their passion is in nature conservation. This course will help you to explore your career options and get a clear, actionable plan together to help you pivot and change direction with confidence.
If you want to start working in wildlife conservation, or just would like to know more about what’s involved, this is the course for you!
The residential will be held at the fabulous Preston Montford Field Centre, Shropshire, SY4 1DX.
This will be your home for two days 20th- 21st March 2021 inclusive.
Preston Montford Field Centre is set in 21 acres of land and sits on the banks of the River Severn.
It is one of 18 residential centres in the UK managed by the Field Studies Council, an independent educational charity that promotes environmental understanding for all with 70 years of experience.
Preston Montford is located 6 miles west of Shrewsbury and is less than 1 hour from Birmingham.
There are frequent bus and train services to Shrewsbury.
What people are saying
Why should someone attend this workshop?
"It's an excellent course for absolutely anyone who has a passion for conservation regardless of what you are currently doing as a profession. It really helps you clearly determine the best route for you into a career in conservation. It gave me hope that was the thing I most needed in order to keep going on my journey!" Joanne Jackson.
"To get them to do something about it finally, to get them to truly consider what their gaps in skills are and how to address them, to network with a truly bunch of people, to get really useful feedback on their CV", Gabriela Vieru.
"Helps not only provide great insight but real tangible trajectories to achieving your career aspirations and tools to help you discover them", Abi Sehmi.
"This workshop is a comprehensive guide in applying for a conservation job. It is the best career workshop that I have been to. I feel everyone will benefit from the course, no matter what stage they are in their careers". Zoe Trott.
"To get a better understand of what opportunities are available and build confidence and clarity regarding the steps to take in order to gain the desired career", Leah Pittman.
"The workshop is a sturdy stepping stone which gives you confidence to change careers", Anna Hutchings.
What message would you give to someone considering attending the workshop?
"There's not a thing that isn't useful on the course!" Fi Fern.
"If you're thinking about attending this workshop but are unsure, do it! Even if you have absolutely no experience, do it! As someone who has been wanting to get into the conservation field for so long this has really given me the motivation and the confidence to believe that it's possible", Chloe Naan.
"I am going through the process of changing my career and the information I learnt on the conservations careers starter workshop has been invaluable. It enables you to get a clearer picture in your own mind of the job you are seeking and gives you practical steps you can follow to get there. The trainers are enthusiastic and knowledgeable and the other participants were very friendly!", Jessica Burnett-Wain.
"If you are struggling with any aspect of getting into a conservation career, this can help you in every aspect", Julia Daly.
"If you even have half an incline to sign up, do it you won't regret it!", Dave Flexer.
"Hugely useful if you are trying to orientate yourself in the field, or trying to make the first progress in your conservation career", Ceres Wan Kam.
"If you are thinking of a career in conservation, go for it!", Steven Allison.
"Go for it! the course is intense but so worth it. Gave me a lot of insight into the conservation field as well as myself and where my passions lie", Stephanie Kerrigan.
"Definitely try it, you will not regret it", Alexander Liversidge.
"If you're are unsure if conservation is for you, or if you are sure but don't know how to get to where you want to be then this is an excellent step", Jack Shepherd.
"The staff are friendly and you will come out of clear understanding of what is the right direction to your conservation career", Stephanie Lee.
"You will learn as much about yourself and your abilities as you will from the teaching programme", Mark Gough.
This course has been exactly what I had hoped it would be. Thanks all so much for your commitment and training. It has been a blast! Charlotte Williams, UK.
Thank you guys for this amazing course. The lost depressed me is no more and I can now head off knowing that if I work hard enough and be tactical to my approach I can do more than I thought. Robyn Caple, UK
A huge thank you to the whole team for all your help and encouragement this weekend. Really appreciated! Aimee Farndale, UK.
I just want to say a big thank you. I found the boot camp really valuable and not only did I learn lots of new things but I feel so positive about my future in such a competitive industry. Georgina Lindsay, UK.
Great experience all round, feel much more motivated and prepared for the future. Ellen Wilson, UK.
Thank you to Conservation Careers who organised the bootcamp, it was great to be apart of. Tomos Eaves, UK.
I want to thank the whole team for such a great experience, you were all very supportive and helpful throughout, and I can't recommend this workshop enough...! Saskia Dahl- Meadows, UK.
Thanks for the boost in confidence and for your obvious commitment to education and conservation! Joe Jeffcoate, UK.
The course was really well presented and the facilitators went above and beyond to ensure we got the most out it. Thank you! Stephanie Kerrigan, USA.
This has really given me the confidence to invest in myself and pursue a career which I have previously thought beyond me. Alexander Liversidge, UK.
Excellent facilitators who did a brilliant job of helping us absorb all the useful information - I can't recommend this course enough!
Just a big thanks for doing this! 🙂 It really makes a difference. Thank you. Joanne Jackson, UK.
Thank you for organising the course and running such an easy-going atmosphere! Alejandro, Spain.
Just massive thanks and keep doing what you are doing! I hope we keep in touch 🙂 Gabriela Vieru, Romania.
It has been great fun, it is challenging but that makes it more worthwhile, Mark Gough, UK.
Thank you for all the training and support throughout the workshop. A big thank you to Conservation Careers to provide this opportunity and make this training available. Taking back a lot of insights and lessons learnt! Akshita Pungaliya, India.
A big THANK YOU for all of your hard work ... I learned so much throughout the workshop and had a whole lot of fun meeting a group of like-minded and delightful people. Christine, UK.
- Limited - 30 Available.
- £286 for two-days' training.
- Accommodation Add-On:
- Two Nights - Shared Room (Twin) £61.50
- Two Nights - Single Room £81.50
- One Night - Shared Room (Twin) £36.50
- One Night - Single Room £44.00
- A years access to the online video modules, and a years full membership of Conservation Careers worth £195.
- The Accommodation Add-Ons include two nights and days with breakfast, cold lunch, cooked dinner, drinks throughout the day and cake in the afternoon. Bedding and towels are also included.
- The course-only option includes cold lunch, drinks throughout the day and cake in the afternoon.
Yes! If you want to start working in wildlife conservation, or just would like to know more about what’s involved, this is the course for you! We’ve helped lots of people make the switch into conservation, and to follow their dream job.
Yes. We can cater for all dietary requirements. and we will ask you to fill in a simple form when you book your place.
Yes! Anyone is welcome to come along. On previous courses we’ve had people from America, France, Germany, Columbia and many more places.
- If you are currently at university or college, and planning to try and find work in the conservation sector when you finish. There’s no better time to start getting clear about your career options than now. This way you can use the time before you graduate to fill any gaps we identify together, and be ready to hit the ground running on your graduation day.
- If you are currently hunting for a conservation job but struggling. We’ll walk you through the process of how to craft applications that make you stand out from the crowd, and how to impress in conservation interviews (plus how to control nerves).
- If you have always had a passion for wildlife and want to work in nature conservation, but don’t know where to start. You might be working in a totally unrelated field right now, and need some clarity on what’s needed to get going. We’re here to help you understand the conservation job landscape, where you might fit in (especially with all your lovely transferrable skills) and to help you form a plan of action to make your dream career a reality.
If you can’t attend doe to COVID-19 restrictions, we will offer you a place on future workshops or our online course.
Book your place
Places are very limited. To secure your place today, please choose from the following two options: