Start your career in conservation and boost your CV
- When: 21st - 24th September 2019 inclusive
- Where: Preston Montford Field Centre, Shropshire, SY4 1DX.
- Who: Students, job-seekers, career switchers, career explorers.
Overview: The Conservation Career-Starter
Give your conservation career a huge boost with a special four-day residential training course designed to increase your chances of employment within the competitive conservation sector.
Get your career on track with the Conservation Careers Kick-starter designed to help you understand the job market, to navigate your career options, and to get hired more quickly. You'll leave with a personal career plan which will get your career on track.
In addition, stand out from the crowd and get certified in Project Management for Wildlife Conservation from the experts at WildTeam UK.
With Conservation Careers, you will ...
Develop a personal career plan to guide you on your conservation job hunt and make you super-competitive. This includes:
- Getting a detailed understanding of the conservation job market and working through a series of tasks designed to help you identify the right job for you.
- Identifying the education, knowledge and experience you need for your chosen job, and how to fill any gaps quickly.
- Learning how to successfully apply for a conservation job, including how to write the perfect cover letter and CV.
- Understanding how to deliver a great interview which will get you hired (and how to keep your nerves in check...).
50% of the course will be provided by Conservation Careers.
With WildTeam UK, you will ...
Learn how to set up and run your own conservation projects - a much sought-after skill by employers across the sector. This includes how to:
- Create a conservation strategy that is easy to communicate, monitor, adapt and report against.
- Apply principles that keep your project on track with more impact.
- Assign roles to your team to promote clear decision making.
- Break down a project into manageable phases.
- Deal with risks, issues and lessons learned.
- Use standardised templates to help plan, monitor and report on your project work.
50% of the course will be provided by WildTeam UK.
Is it right for you?
The residential is designed for:
- Job-Seekers - Such as under-graduates and post-graduates looking for that first paying role in wildlife conservation.
- Career Switchers - People looking to switch into conservation from a totally different sector, but don’t know where to start and need a helping hand.
- Career Explorers - Those doing an unrelated course or training right now, but feel their passion is in nature conservation. This course will help you to explore your career options and get a clear, actionable plan together to help you pivot and change direction with confidence.
If you want to start working in wildlife conservation, or just would like to know more about what’s involved, this is the course for you!
The residential will be held at the fabulous Preston Montford Field Centre, Shropshire, SY4 1DX.
This will be your home for four days - 21st - 24th September 2019 inclusive.
Preston Montford Field Centre is set in 21 acres of land and sits on the banks of the River Severn.
It is one of 18 residential centres in the UK managed by the Field Studies Council, an independent educational charity that promotes environmental understanding for all with 70 years of experience.
Preston Montford is located 6 miles west of Shrewsbury and is less than 1 hour from Birmingham.
There are frequent bus and train services to Shrewsbury.
What people are saying
Why should someone attend this workshop?
"This workshop is a comprehensive guide in applying for a conservation job. It is the best career workshop that I have been to. I feel everyone will benefit from the course, no matter what stage they are in their careers. Additionally, the project management course is very informative and good to have on your CV". Zoe Trott.
"To get a better understand of what opportunities are available and build confidence and clarity regarding the steps to take in order to gain the desired career", Leah Pittman.
"The workshop is a sturdy stepping stone which gives you confidence to change careers", Anna Hutchings.
What message would you give to someone considering attending the workshop?
"There's not a thing that isn't useful on the course!" Fi Fern.
"If you're thinking about attending this workshop but are unsure, do it! Even if you have absolutely no experience, do it! As someone who has been wanting to get into the conservation field for so long this has really given me the motivation and the confidence to believe that it's possible", Chloe Naan.
"I am going through the process of changing my career and the information I learnt on the conservations careers starter workshop has been invaluable. It enables you to get a clearer picture in your own mind of the job you are seeking and gives you practical steps you can follow to get there. The trainers are enthusiastic and knowledgeable and the other participants were very friendly!", Jessica Burnett-Wain.
"If you are struggling with any aspect of getting into a conservation career, this can help you in every aspect as well as a bonus Project Management certificate", Julia Daly.
"If you even have half an incline to sign up, do it you won't regret it!", Dave Flexer.
"Hugely useful if you are trying to orientate yourself in the field, or trying to make the first progress in your conservation career", Ceres Wan Kam.
"If you are thinking of a career in conservation, go for it!", Steven Allison.
This course has been exactly what I had hoped it would be. Thanks all so much for your commitment and training. It has been a blast! Charlotte Williams, UK.
Thank you guys for this amazing course. The lost depressed me is no more and I can now head off knowing that if I work hard enough and be tactical to my approach I can do more than I thought. Robyn Caple, UK
A huge thank you to the whole team for all your help and encouragement this weekend. Really appreciated! Aimee Farndale, UK.
I just want to say a big thank you. I found the boot camp really valuable and not only did I learn lots of new things but I feel so positive about my future in such a competitive industry. Georgina Lindsay, UK.
Great experience all round, feel much more motivated and prepared for the future. Ellen Wilson, UK.
Thank you to all at the WildTeam and Conservation Careers who organised the bootcamp, it was great to be apart of. Tomos Eaves, UK.
I want to thank the whole team for such a great experience, you were all very supportive and helpful throughout, and I can't recommend this workshop enough...! Saskia Dahl- Meadows, UK.
Thanks for the boost in confidence and for your obvious commitment to education and conservation! Joe Jeffcoate, UK.
- Limited - 25 Available.
- £360 for four days training.
- £325 for Conservation Careers Lion Members. Join today and save £35!
- Accommodation Add-On:
- £130 for four nights (Just £32.50 per night).
- Shared rooms - most rooms are two max, on rare occasion will be three.
- A years access to the online video modules, and a years full membership of Conservation Careers worth £149.
- Exam & Certificate in Project Management for Wildlife Conservation - worth £50.
- The Accommodation Add-On includes four nights and days with breakfast, cold lunch, cooked dinner, drinks throughout the day and cake in the afternoon. Bedding and towels are also included.
- The course-only option includes cold lunch, drinks throughout the day and cake in the afternoon.
Yes! If you want to start working in wildlife conservation, or just would like to know more about what’s involved, this is the course for you! We’ve helped lots of people make the switch into conservation, and to follow their dream job.
Yes. We can cater for all dietary requirements. and we will ask you to fill in a simple form when you book your place.
Yes! Anyone is welcome to come along. On previous courses we’ve had people from America, France, Germany, Columbia and many more places.
- If you are currently at university or college, and planning to try and find work in the conservation sector when you finish. There’s no better time to start getting clear about your career options than now. This way you can use the time before you graduate to fill any gaps we identify together, and be ready to hit the ground running on your graduation day.
- If you are currently hunting for a conservation job but struggling. We’ll walk you through the process of how to craft applications that make you stand out from the crowd, and how to impress in conservation interviews (plus how to control nerves).
- If you have always had a passion for wildlife and want to work in nature conservation, but don’t know where to start. You might be working in a totally unrelated field right now, and need some clarity on what’s needed to get going. We’re here to help you understand the conservation job landscape, where you might fit in (especially with all your lovely transferrable skills) and to help you form a plan of action to make your dream career a reality.
Book your place
Places are very limited. To secure your place today, please choose from the following two options: