Summary: During this unpaid Internship you will assist staff and volunteers with all aspects of animal care.
Sessions, schedule, and housing:
Each internship is approximately 10 weeks.
The weekly requirement is 35 hrs comprised of 5 shifts that are 7 hours each.
Each shift will be 7am – 2pm or 1pm – 8pm.
Housing is the responsibility of the applicant and must be within reasonable distance from CWC. California Wildlife Center is unable to provide housing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be
• Daily husbandry related activities including medical treatments, cleaning, diet preparation, and feeding in the Intensive Care Unit and the Orphan Care Unit
• Daily routines that include laundry, cleaning enclosures, and dish washing
• Advanced animal care duties such as tube feeding, reading bloodwork, fracture stabilization, medication dosing, and subcutaneous fluid administration
• Assist with intake procedures for new patients
• Species identification and determining specific care requirements based on natural history and species behavior
• Safe handling skills for a wide variety of wildlife including raptors, pelagic birds, songbirds, and mammals
• Answer the emergency phone line and give information to the public
• Assist with wildlife releases
• Responsible for animal enrichment program
• Learn about the natural history and behavior of native California wildlife
• Learn medical record keeping skills
• Assist in transporting wildlife from local animal shelters (desired but not required)
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Science studies, natural science studies, or animal care background required
• Must have respect for wildlife and courtesy toward the public
• Must be able to perform physically demanding tasks such as cleaning, lifting, bending, stooping, etc
• Must be able to work independently and as a team member
• Must be able to perform tedious tasks for long periods of time
• Must be able to work quickly and efficiently while following directions and procedures
• Must be able to multitask and work in a very stressful environment
• Must be able to work long hours with few breaks
• This is an unpaid internship