This listing has expired.
Since its formation, A Focus On Nature (AFON) has sought to connect, support and inspire young people aged 16 to 30 who share a passion for the natural world. Through a combination of social media activity, events and mentoring AFON has connected with thousands of young people including aspiring conservation professionals, wildlife enthusiasts, writers, artists, photographers and poets. It also spearheaded the ‘Vision for Nature’ campaign and report, setting out young people’s vision for the natural world.
About The Role
We are recruiting for a Creative Director, the figurehead of the organisation.
You will play a pivotal role on the committee, inspiring and motivating committee members to fulfil their roles to the best of their ability, supporting them in their roles and, in return, be supported in carrying out your own duties.
You will play a key role in shaping the direction of the organisation, steering members and the committee through the coming years. You will be responsible for partnerships – existing and new – and representing AFON at national and local levels. You must be able to demonstrate excellent managerial skills of both people and projects.
This is an opportunity to develop your CV with a nationally recognised organisation, learn new skills and influence the future direction of AFON including its campaigns, attitudes and ambitions.
Applicants must be below the age of 28 at the time of application – we ask for a date of birth to ensure this. We hope that the suitable applicant will take on the role for a period of no less than two years and no more than three years.
Please note that all roles are operated on a voluntary basis with some financial reward for your time and all travel and accommodation expenses incurred in the course of your duties in the role also covered.
Duties & Responsibilities
– To shape the direction and vision for the organisation
– To represent A Focus On Nature in national and local forums and with partners
– To lead the committee and members
– To manage relationships with external partners and supporters
– To form new partnerships
– To motivate and inspire the committee to achieve as much as possible and to support them in their roles
– To make decisions that ultimately benefit the organisation in the short and long term
– To take financial responsibility for the organisation, budgets and fundraising
– To assist with planning and delivering new and inspiring events
– To mediate and find positive solutions for individuals and the organisation
– To take ultimate responsibility for ensuring the organisation complies with the law, in particular with regard to safeguarding of members
– Demonstrable leadership skills with an ability to motivate and inspire members and partners
– Confidence in public-facing situations including experience in public speaking
– Diplomacy, mediation, discretion and empathy in tricky or delicate situations
– Excellent relationship management, being accessible for members and partners
– Able to delegate and manage people effectively
It is anticipated the role will require approximately 8 hours per week. This is usually achievable around a working day, but may require evening, weekend and occasional weekday duties (attending conferences, events or meetings or handling press enquiries).
Please do not take on this role lightly, particularly if it is on top of studying or an existing job. Being Director of AFON can, at times of large workload, feel like having a second job.
You will sit on the committee for AFON. Decisions are normally taken by consensus but occasionally you may have to manage differences of opinion between committee members or between the committee and yourself. There will be instances where you will be required to lead the organisation and the committee as a strong individual, using your own judgement and decision-making skills. The committee will support you in carrying out all of your duties.
How to Apply
Please submit a copy of your CV together with the application form to [email protected].
Deadline for applications is 31/12/2019.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by current members of the AFON committee. If you have any questions about the role, please email them to [email protected].