Since 2011, the Access Fund-Jeep Conservation Team program has continued to meet the growing demand for climbing area stewardship and sustainability, while providing climbing communities and land managers with professional leaders well equipped to fulfill complex and highly technical scopes.
Access Fund is currently hiring for its Conservation Team East for 2021. This regional team will focus solely on completing climbing access stabilization projects at the New River Gorge in West Virginia, the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, Whitehorse Ledge in New Hampshire and Moss Rock Preserve in Alabama. Limited travel and limited projects will protect Conservation Team members from the bulk of COVID-19 related concerns while still allowing Access Fund and local advocates to fulfill the critical stewardship needs at popular US climbing destinations.
Team applicants must possess a passion for climbing and travel, proven technical trail-building skills, conservation and stewardship education expertise, personnel oversight experience, excellent communication skills, volunteer coordination experience, and exceptional team compatibility. Only pre-paired teams will be considered; Access Fund will not place individuals in a team. The Team will be selected for their ability to promote the mission and values of Access Fund while making critical improvements to climbing resources throughout the US. The 2021 Conservation Team program will begin on Wednesday, February 10, 2021 and continue through December 3, 2021.
Conservation Team members will be expected to leverage technical trail skills, high-line rock hauling systems, rock shaping techniques, in addition to providing additional crew management, come volunteer oversight and community partnership. We encourage teams to apply who enjoy technical fieldwork, thrive in a unique lifestyle, love to work with people, and want to help improve climbing areas while educating the greater climbing community. Teams must make a commitment through December 3, 2021.
- Perform highly technical trail and infrastructure projects at climbing areas in a variety of environments, landscapes and climates. Heavy lifting, tool usage, extreme safety.
- Safely work in a pair to efficiently complete climbing infrastructure projects to a high standard, while protecting fellow field members and adhering to all Access Fund & local COVID-19 protocols and policies.
- Leverage a host of technical field skills, resources and materials to complete complex trail and stewardship projects.
- Manage on-the-ground field operations, volunteers and additional crew resources in technical and large project scopes.
- Maintain timelines and deliverables to fulfill land manager, community and sponsor expectations.
- Create and submit stories, photos, and videos for the Access Fund website, blog, Vertical Times, social media, and e-news.
- Represent Access Fund, the Conservation Team program, the sport of climbing, and program sponsors in a positive, professional manner at all times.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in trail design, construction, and maintenance practices and techniques, including: stone construction, high-line systems, technical trail structures.
- Passion for people, climbing, education, and stewardship.
- A very strong relationship with your partner and the ability to spend extended time with each other, in close quarters, and through challenging conditions.
- Experience overseeing and motivating volunteers and field crews.
- A sense of adventure and a positive attitude, flexibility, adaptability, and creativity.
- Proactive problem solving and an ability to be self-sufficient.
- Strong skills in time and task management, scheduling, and balancing work/life.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Computer savvy (proficient with Word & Excel, photo/video, internet and email, etc.).
- Salary with a lifestyle requiring no full time rent, electric, water or heating bills.
- Comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- Pro-deals with qualifying corporate partners.
- A lifestyle that involves living on the road, new experiences and a critical partner in meaningful work.
Send resume, references, and cover letter specifically addressing your team’s qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “2021 Conservation Team East” in the e-mail subject.
No calls or paper submissions please.