This listing has expired.
At EPR we have two passions- people and wildlife. We believe that current and future generations should have the opportunity to live in and connect with the natural world. We work with our clients to deliver measurable benefits for people and biodiversity; and we advocate that projects invest in a strategic approach to protecting, restoring, and creating quality habitat for biodiversity. We provide client- focussed, robust ecological advice. If your professional outlook matches ours, read on!
EPR is an independent (staff-owned) ecological consultancy based in Hampshire, with over 30 years’ experience of delivering the highest quality ecological advice and support to our portfolio of clients. We are equally proud of our more recently established Eastern Region office, in Kent. Together we work on projects nationwide, providing pragmatic solutions to complex technical issues. We offer a wide range of ecology services including specialist ecology surveys, Ecological Impact Assessment, expert witness and practical habitat creation and management. At EPR we recognise that development is needed both for urban renewal and to achieve the economic progress that ultimately funds conservation activity.
At present we seek to hire one Assistant Ecologist and two Ecologists to be based in Hampshire, as well as two Ecologists to be based in Kent. We are also encouraging applicants at Senior Ecologist level, as we have an additional vacancy for a more experienced role, which can be based in either location. At all levels of recruitment into our vibrant team, hybrid working is available.
Successful candidates with the required skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package. You can expect:
- to work with a group of likeminded people who strive to get the best results both for our clients and for biodiversity;
- the opportunity to make a positive difference to the outcome of major projects, helping to design large wildlife-rich places you can be proud of;
- ongoing support and professional development through both internal and external training;
- payment of membership fees to relevant professional body;
- the opportunity to work with, and help in developing our use of, new and exciting technologies (e.g., drones, remote technology etc.);
- to be encouraged to have your say on how the company aims are delivered;
- a generous reward scheme and to be considered for our Company Share Option scheme;
- generous contributions to an ethical pension;
- flexible working;
- access to Employee Assistance Programme;
- Mental Health First Aiders in both offices;
- free fitness classes;
- company funded regular staff social events; and
- a dog friendly office.
As an enthusiastic Assistant Ecologist you’ll actively support others in a wide and varied section of tasks, including seasonal field surveys. As an Ecologist, you will be responsible for managing your own small to medium sized projects as well as supporting senior staff with larger projects. As a Senior Ecologist, you will be working on some of our biggest projects for our most important clients as well as manging your own projects. Our clients come from all areas of business including the proponents of some of the largest and most ambitious sustainable housing developments in the country. We also work for National Health Trusts, Universities, Local Authorities, Highways Agency as well as smaller business and organisations. You will be expected to have the ability to see a project all the way through from site allocation and pre-application to implementation and monitoring.
The skills and experience we require are:
- a degree in Ecology or related discipline, together with membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management;
- experience of surveying, UK habitats and species;
- whilst it is not considered to be essential, licence for bats or badgers would be advantageous
- knowledge of UK planning regulations, policy and processes;
- ability to work collaboratively with colleagues as well as independently and to communicate effectively with a range of external stakeholders, clients and team members;
- successful track record of delivering high-quality technical work and written reports including Ecological appraisal and small sized/simple EcIA ;
- proven track record in project management including managing budgets;
- developing and maintaining relationships with clients;
- excellent report writing skills;
- experience of implementation of mitigation and enhancement strategies; and
- assisting the development of seasonal staff and placement students.
A valid UK driving licence and a car (or access to a car) are essential, as is being able to prove you have the right to work in the UK.
We will assist with relocation expenses, where necessary, for the right candidate.
If you are interested in joining our friendly and dedicated team, please download the application form from our website at www.epr.uk.com/about/careers as CVs will not be accepted. If you would like to find out more about any roles and would like a discreet non-committal chat please contact Alison Hogan, Director and Principal Ecological Consultant (email@example.com).
Completed applications should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and no later than the closing date of 30 November 2021. Interviews will be scheduled for December 2021.