Location: Mahe, Seychelles
Employment Type: Full-Time
Minimum Experience: Experienced
Start Date: September 2022
About the role
The Assistant Program Manager has the responsibility to work alongside the Program Manager to assure smooth operations at the GVI Cap Ternay hub along with assisting with sustainable development of existing and new programs. All activities and responsibilities are to be closely conducted in coordination with the Program Manager and other GVI staff as appropriate. The Senior Program Coordinator will have direct communication with and be line managed by the Program Manager on-site.
What you will do
- This position is focused primarily on providing logistical support to and management of international participants and staff teams on all aspects of the programs. The position also requires the supervision and mentoring of the internship program and staff development.
- You will be responsible for supporting the Program Manager in overseeing all field operations and developments across their relevant area, and at times additional temporary locations, to allow for capacity expansion. Responsibility lies with planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the core activities undertaken by GVI field operations at our GVI Cap Ternay hub.
- In addition, the position will involve personnel and logistics management support, as well as a willingness and ability to effectively support field activities across all the programs that we run.
- As delegated by the Program Manager, you may be responsible co-ordination, including pre-booking communication and partner communication. You may also complete reporting for the groups and manage the budget on the ground.
- Ensure all equipment is properly maintained and looked after on project and on base, and that all accommodation sites are properly looked after and are not being abused or damaged by staff or participants.
- Maintain and nurture excellent relationships with all of our partners and communities at all times, and strive to uphold GVI’s reputation.
- Manage professional, high quality training sessions for all staff and participants.
- Provide general help whenever the need arises or when it is requested.
- Motivate and support participants and staff teams to a high level.
- In coordination with the Program Manager, hold weekly feedback meetings with participants to ensure any issues are being raised and dealt with appropriately, including weekly volunteer representative forums.
- Help to hold regular meetings with staff for feedback and training purposes.
- Help manage conflict and complaints from all parties effectively, and communicate all such issues with your line manager as appropriate depending on the urgency.
- Assist Program Manager with overseeing strict health and safety procedures.
- Assist Program Manager with recruitment and training of new staff.
- Assist Program Manager with providing accurate information and writing of reports, keeping track of basic accounting and timetabling.
- Keep good communications and relations with local project partners, seeking out feedback and assuring that GVI programs are in line with partner objectives and needs, and assisting with development of new partnerships and growth as needed and appropriate.
- Keep open, direct and regular communications with the Program Manager at all times to assist with smooth in-country operations.
- Cover essential parts of the Program Manager’s role in their absence to ensure the continued smooth running of the program.
- Take on any relevant tasks as delegated by the Program Manager and Regional Director.
What you will need
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
- Commitment, drive and enthusiasm to develop yourself and motivate others
- Hardworking, with the ability to show and use initiative
- Flexible, open-minded and adaptable
- Easy-going and excited about being a part of a global family on a mission to make a difference
- Likes challenges and obtains positive results.
- Driving License (manual stick shift vehicles)
- Educated to GVSE or equivalent level
- Ability to lead by example, good interpersonal skills, strong initiative & positive proactive work ethic
- Proven experience and competence in administration and logistics
- At least 50 dives in a professional diver certification level.
- Past experience or background in internship coordination and outreach or a similar field
- Past volunteer or volunteer management work experience
Please note that it is GVI Policy that all staff members are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- PADI Dive Master or above certification
- EFR Instructor
- Marine, community and social development background, both academic and/or work experience
- Participation in expedition and volunteer style work experience, and volunteer work
- Management/planning background
- Past experience with dive operations and marine conservation
- Past experience working in remote locations
What we offer
- Monthly salary
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Emergency medical and travel insurance
- Phone Plan
In addition, GVI has the following perks:
- Leadership development
- In-house counselling support
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
- Boat Licence Training (if applicable)
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organisation here.
Please submit your CV / complete the short application form / along with a detailed cover letter explaining why you feel you will be the best candidate for this position.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.