This listing has expired.
The daily management of Atoll Volunteers is done by our resident Volunteer Coordinator.
The work is varied and includes different tasks such as organising individual volunteer placements, volunteer activities, community events, web-management (our website, social media, listings and other), conflict resolution, short- and long-term planning of our different projects, writing grant proposal and progress reports to international donor agencies like the UNDP, World Bank, UNODC and much, much more!
Taking on the position as our Volunteer Coordinator is not just a retreat to a nice sunny tropical island (although you will get ample opportunity to experience that as well), as you will be given the responsibility to ensure that the organisation runs smoothly and effectively. We expect a disciplined person who can manage his/her time responsibly and keep a healthy balance between work and fun.
We attract volunteers from all over the world and from different backgrounds and you will interact with these on a daily basis and have to ensure that they have a good and meaningful stay with us. You will also get to work closely with our many local volunteers and you have a chance to form great friendships in the local and welcoming populace of Naifaru.
- Recruitment of international volunteers, including but not limited to: posting on websites, developing content, contacting organisations and increasing Atoll Volunteers’ online presence.
- Answering queries from prospective international volunteers regarding volunteering in the Maldives.
- Managing international volunteers’ stay in the Maldives and ensuring current volunteers’ wellbeing.
- Developing capacity and assist in administrative duties of Atoll Volunteers.
- Maintaining our activity on social media such as Facebook and YouTube.
- Marketing and Developing materials to create new relationships with partner organisations
- Welcoming and briefing new volunteers.
- Performing on-going evaluation of our volunteer programmes.
- Composing reports and grant proposals for agencies such as the UNDP, UNFPA, UNODC and World Bank.
- Managing volunteer bookings, invoicing, and accounts.
- Coordinating and organising events for the community, such as anti-drug campaigns, women empowerment activities and youth development programmes.
- Promoting and running our shop, Maldives Originals, which showcases handmade crafts from local people on our island.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience with working with volunteers (not mandatory).
- Ability to effectively communicate, in writing and verbally, and relay complicated information in a user-friendly manner.
- Experience with effectively using social media and on-line campaigning in a professional setting.
- Experience with working with HR or the NGO sector is a plus.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to work independently and under time pressure.
- A strong interest in development issues such as human rights, gender equality and youth development.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s or professional degree in a relevant field.
- Minimum 6 month commitment. Applicants who are available for up to 12 months preferred.
The position is unpaid but comes with accommodation, food and domestic transport in the Maldives.
What’s in it for you?
Whether you are an experienced professional looking for a sabbatical or a student looking for experience, we guarantee that volunteering/interning in this programme will be both a learning experience and a lot of fun!
By becoming our new Volunteer Coordinator, you will be able to truly make a difference where it matters!
By joining our team of local and international volunteers you will gain a unique opportunity to help our community by providing us with good management, and joining us means that you will gain a lot of practical experience as well as be given the opportunity to bring in your own views and ideas to our organisation and projects.
Becoming our Volunteer Coordinator will grant you a unique chance to experience life in the ‘real’ Maldives, outside the crowded and expensive tourist resorts! On our island there are just over 5000 inhabitants so expect to be living in a small island community where everyone knows everyone and where you are bound to be welcomed with open arms and a sense of hospitality which is rare in this world!
With an amazing environment and equally amazing community unlike most other places in the world, our dedicated local and international volunteers as well as local school staff and our great efforts to make our volunteers feel at home, you will never be bored!
All work and no fun!?
NO! There’s time for fun as well! In-fact we do what we can to engage our volunteers in social activities on the weekends. For instance, we arrange weekly boat trips to neighbouring islands to enjoy the sun, swim, snorkel, fish or just kick back and relax.
As our Volunteer Coordinator you will be tasked with organising fun and exciting activities for our volunteers, and you are to join in these yourself!
You will never forget your time in Naifaru. There are constantly things going on everywhere around you, and everywhere you are met with open arms and a friendly face. Don’t just take our word for it; take the time to wander down one of the many intricate side alleys and experience first-hand how there is a very special atmosphere, unlike any you will find anywhere in the world. Guaranteed!
We could go on about the splendors of living in a friendly, remote island community in the Indian Ocean, but really, it has to be experienced to get the true feeling of island life!
The best time of your life awaits you in Naifaru. Don’t just sit there! Join us and change your life and those of our community!
For more information or to apply for this position please contact : [email protected]
Application deadline: September 8th 2019