Earthwatch is recruiting for a Community Engagement Officer to support the delivery of our education, science and public engagement activities. Earthwatch works with teachers and students to empower the next generation to take action to save our planet. We enable scientists to develop a range of field skills, communication skills and confidence, to inspire others and affect change on the ground. We seek to empower communities to take action for their local environment and influence change and policy on the ground. Using citizen science we take learning outside, promote pro-environmental behaviours and aim to inspire, connect and empower those who take part.
Can you help support our activities in schools? Do you relish the challenge of supporting teachers to undertake environmental activities in their already busy lives? Could you wear a fetching Earthwatch T-shirt at public events and promote practical actions people can to do promote and protect wildlife in their communities? Can you make sure that our participants are fully prepared for the training programmes they join? Can you help us to capture our participants’ experiences and learn from them? Could you work with teachers, scientists, communities, participants and members of the public, across the UK and Europe, support logistics, answer queries, research papers and reports, organise and document meetings, ensure accurate and timely data entry, work on documents and processes? Want to work in a busy, friendly, supportive team, with lots of cake?
Our ideal candidate is a great communicator and an exceptional organiser who can work collaboratively with others to get things done, able to work flexibly to meet changing demands and still pay attention to detail. You will be experienced in dealing with a wide range of clientele‚ confident in multitasking and prioritising and committed to getting stuck into all our engagement activities. Experience of working in an NGO, educational or science organisation would be beneficial but not essential.
Earthwatch is an international environmental NGO. Our mission is to empower people to save our planet. We do this, by creating knowledge and inspiring action through hands-on science and environmental engagement. We address big environmental challenges by working together with individuals, communities and organisations. We aim to create a global community that values and nurtures a sustainable planet.
To provide support to organise and deliver (in collaboration with other Earthwatch staff) a range of engagement events, educational programmes and citizen science activities, which help Earthwatch achieve its mission.
- Support the facilitation of high quality engagement activities, in close collaboration with other Earthwatch staff or partners
- Support our Education, Enabling Scientists and Community and stakeholder engagement programmes through development of engagement materials, support to participants and administration
- Curate best practise content on awareness raising and engagement in citizen science with particular emphasis on policy makers (with support from other partners) as part of a new EU programme
- Attend external engagement events to promote Earthwatch
- Develop, update and format communications and learning materials using standard programme templates
- Support Earthwatch monitoring and evaluation system with engagement information Ensure evaluation processes are followed consistently for all programmes and that impact tracking documents are updated
- Keep the CRM database up to date to ensure we have a first class relationship management system
- General project management support as required
The above list of job deliverables is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post, and contribute to wider activity and the overall success of the team.
- A passion and talent for engaging people
- Excellent planning and organisation skills –able to multi task, work well under pressure, and do not need to be asked to do something twice
- Excellent written and verbal communication‚ perfect grammar and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully interface with diverse audiences and build strong relationships
- A strong team member who can represent Earthwatch, with the ability to communicate effectively
- Experience of facilitating environmental, science education or engagement activities, events or workshops
- Experience of engaging a diverse range of audiences in citizen science or science education activities
- Experience of developing educational materials (including online content) for a range of audiences
- Flexible, self-motivated, with excellent time management skills
- Commitment to the mission and values of Earthwatch
- Commit to undertaking a DBS check
- A degree in an environmental science related discipline or equivalent professional experience in ecology and/or environmental science with field-based ecological experience
- An Education related qualification
- Knowledge of the education sector and/ or experience engaging with school groups or teachers
- Experience engaging with groups from deprived or hard to reach communities
- Experience of event management
Deadline: 2 June 2019
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Reports to: Senior Learning & Engagement Manager
Salary: £21,000 – £24,000 per annum, gross
Contract: Full-Time (35 hours per week, Monday – Friday), Open-ended
Deadline for application: 2 June 2019
Interviews: 12 June 2019
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK; Earthwatch is unable to support visa applications.
Due to the nature of this work, a DBS check will be required.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Our full Candidate Privacy Notice can be found here: www.earthwatch.org.uk/candidate-privacy-notice