Location: Phang Nga, Thailand
Employment Type: Short Term Contract
Minimum Experience: Entry-level
Type of role: 3/6 months (with the possibility of extension)
Start date: ASAP
About the role
Here in Thailand at GVI Phang Nga, we run an exciting and impactful dual programme hub where our Community and Conservation Programmes work hand-in-hand to make a positive difference in our local communities and environment, working to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
To assist us in running these busy programmes effectively, we are looking for an additional staff member to join our passionate teams initially on a short-term, unpaid basis. This could be developed into long-term opportunities within GVI, depending on performance.
The goal of the Field Assistant at our GVI Phang Nga hub is to support the GVI community team in the day-to-day running of the programs and specifically assist with managing the participants and students.
The role entails assisting with daily operations of the community projects, and base and volunteer management. On a day-to-day basis you will be responsible for overseeing the volunteers, assisting on projects, teaching classes as needed, helping with lesson planning, supporting the volunteers in the classroom, planning and delivering workshops, conducting health checks, creating content for social media, keeping records of project work, delivering training and orientations for new volunteers, and acting as a role model for volunteers.
You are passionate about engaging with local communities, quality education for all, and tackling social and environmental issues, from health education to human rights.
A self-starter who rolls up their sleeves to get things done, and enjoys tackling a wide variety of tasks. You are flexible and enjoy challenges.
What you will do
- Support the running of the community programmes – assisting with ‘in-field’ project work
- Managing the running of the GVI base and the participants on a day-to-day basis, ensuring they have a positive, safe and unforgettable experience
- Welcome all newly arriving participants and ensure they feel a part of the GVI Family from Day 1
- Acting as an enthusiastic role model for participants, providing guidance and mentorship
- Enforce GVI rules and protocols at all times
- Interacting with local partners for certain activities
- Occasionally delivering presentations and training relevant to the project activities
- Working with the team to ensure the program operates to a high standard and all health and safety protocols are followed
- Ensure all participants are well supervised on a day-to-day basis and are able to complete their projects safely & effectively
- Keep participants entertained and engaged on and off the project by organising and or participating in cultural events, experiences and social events at both weekends and evenings
- Assisting in fundraising for GVI’s Global Charitable Programme within the Phang Nga Hub
- Represent GVI at all times whilst in Phang Nga
- Assist the coordinator to ensure that the programs continue to operate to a high standard for both volunteers and project partners
What you will need
- Experience managing groups/participants/students (we will provide all project-specific training in-country)
- Passion for volunteer management and sustainable development
- Fluent in English reading & writing
- People-centric mindset – comfortable with being ‘on’ 24/7
- Commitment, drive and enthusiasm to develop yourself and motivate others
- Hardworking, with the ability to show and use initiative
- Flexible, open-minded and adaptable
- Able to communicate well with people from different cultures and backgrounds, manage large groups, and speak publicly with confidence
- Fluent in Thai
- Previous volunteering experience
- Understanding of local culture
- Experience living abroad and in tropical climates
- Comfortable with communal living
- Emergency First Response certified/trained
- A good understanding of NGO and international development approaches and values, including the United Nations SDGs
What we offer
- Phone Allowance
- Visa costs (if applicable)
- Emergency medical and travel insurance
In addition, GVI has the following perks:
- Training fund
- Social allowance
- Leadership development
- In-house counselling support
- Growth opportunities across our 17 locations!
GVI is an international multi-award-winning social enterprise on a mission to build a global network of people united by their passion to make a difference. We run programs in 13 countries worldwide aligned to the objectives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
GVI is a platform for personal growth, and our staff have the ability to develop themselves across teams, departments, and even locations! We value passion, authenticity, entrepreneurship and innovation and treat all of our stakeholders with respect and compassion above everything else.
You can find out more about the types of work we do, and who we are as an organization here.
Please submit your CV / complete the short application form / along with a detailed cover letter explaining why you feel you will be the best candidate for this position.
Please note: We will do our utmost to respond to all applicants, however, given the large volume of applications we receive, this isn’t always possible. If you do not hear back from us within three-four weeks, please take it that on this occasion your application was unsuccessful.