To continue its dynamic development in collaboration with Fauna & Flora International (FFI), Biflores is recruiting a Director to join and lead our team in Cabo Verde. S/he must have proven experience and skills in organisational management and team leadership together with experience in nature conservation or a related field. S/he will need to be adaptable and able to work in a small dynamic team based on a small remote island.
Biflores is a non-governmental organisation on the island of Brava (Cabo Verde). Its aim is to protect and conserve the biodiversity of Brava including both marine and terrestrial ecosystems, as well as fostering sustainable development to improve the livelihoods of the communities. Brava is a magnificent mountainous island in the south of the island chain of Cabo Verde, and is nicknamed the “island of flowers”. It is home to 21 endemic plant species, including dragon trees, and charismatic animals such as turtles and whale sharks. The latter is just one of the over 60 species of elasmobranchs present in Brava’s waters. Endemic plants/trees and elasmobranchs are two key focal areas for Biflores’ conservation work, which is delivered with a ‘ridge-to-reef’ approach, in partnership with FFI.
Biflores has strengthened its partnerships with leading conservation groups and local communities, and is responsible for the implementation of prestigious grants for sustainable grazing and endemic species protection. Biflores manages both marine and terrestrial programmes with funding secured for the next three years. Some of the programmes are more focused on research, and some more on community development, designation of protected areas, working with communities, and establishing ecotourism on Brava. We are looking for a Director who can lead the next phase of Biflores, and who understands the delicate balance between conservation and development.
With plans to grow the organisation and its team, the Director’s tasks are varied and challenging, including strategic planning, team building and management, networking, partner and community relationship management, project development and fundraising, and opportunities to support work in the field, requiring a high level of motivation, adaptability and strong team working. This position would be a good fit for someone with experience in managing small conservation organisations / teams and/or for a passionate and committed conservationist with proven entrepreneurial skills wishing to move into a leading role.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Start date: 13th June 2022, or as soon as possible
Duration: 2 years contract, subject to satisfactory performance, and with a 6 month probation period
Contract term: Full time
Salary: c. 1,000 EUR net salary per month based on experience, plus 250 EUR per month accommodation benefit and 1,500 EUR per year travel benefit (for reference, living costs on Brava are ~400 EUR per month)
Location: Nova Sintra, Brava Island, Republic of Cape Verde
Job title: Director
Reporting to: Biflores Board
- Lead on the development of the organisation
- Oversee the delivery of the organisation’s strategy and direct work programmes, to guarantee effective conservation and development outcomes
- Appoint and manage a team of programme leaders, ensuring the sound management of all staff
- Ensure the organisation is legally compliant as a small NGO operating in Cape Verde
- Ensure effective communication with and reporting to the Biflores Board
- Maintain a close partnership with key partners, such as FFI, throughout all aspects of joint initiatives
- Represent the organisation at all levels, maintaining positive relationships with government, local communities, major donors, and other key stakeholders
- Monitor financial performance and ensure financial sustainability
- Ensure appropriate and effective protocols are in place for project monitoring and reporting
- Ensure the health and safety of staff and others engaged in the organisation’s activities, and appropriate equipment use and storage
- Design and implement a communications plan, to meet conservation, advocacy and fundraising goals
- Ensure a high standard of project, conservation and scientific fieldwork and other activity, as required and in line with your specific skills and experience
- A Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline, preferably in sciences or in management
- At least three years of experience in a leading position within the nature conservation or development sector
- Knowledge and / or experience in delivering strategy at organisational or programme level
- Track record of successful team management, including management and support of managers who lead field staff
- Demonstrable experience in project design and management
- Demonstrable experience in monitoring & evaluation and a good knowledge of data management
- Experience in building and maintaining partnerships with both international and local stakeholders
- Languages: working knowledge of Portuguese or other Latin language, very good English (especially written)
- Excellent writing skills, including business letters, funding proposals and reports
- Ability to be self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high quality and sustainability
- “Entrepreneurial” attitude: daring, drive and creative thinking to grow the organisation
- Relevant experience in field-level implementation of conservation or related projects
- Ability to nurture and support team members with demonstrable hands-on field experience and skills that can be shared with the team
- Good knowledge in the field of finance & staff training are an added advantage
- Experience of living and working in remote areas is an advantage
Applications, consisting of: a cover letter explaining why you are applying for the position and relating your experience and skills to the role (max 2 pages), a full CV, and contact details of two referees, should be in English and submitted via email to: email@example.com (with the subject line “Application – Biflores Director”).
The closing date for applications is 23rd May 2022.
Interviews are likely to be held the week commencing 30th May 2022.
Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by email. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.