This listing has expired.
Barrett Environmental Ltd is a long-established small, friendly and highly regarded ecological consultancy with an extensive client base, operating across the north of England. We have a vacancy for a full-time permanent ecologist who is looking to develop their career, provide ideas to the business and deliver a wide range of projects for clients. We are looking for an experienced, self-motivated, organised, open-minded individual with good communication skills, technical abilities and a willingness to “think outside the box”.
Our office is currently based near Wolsingham in Wolsingham in County Durham, where you will be expected to work for part of the week. However, as an environmentally conscientious organisation, we recognise the benefits of home working and you must be willing and able to operate remotely when appropriate. You must also have your own vehicle for which a mileage allowance will be paid.
The responsibilities will include:
- Assisting and leading on ecological surveys;
- Client liaison;
- Project management;
- Ecological Clerk of Works;
- Preparing comprehensive survey reports, impact assessments and mitigation strategies to a high standard within expected timescales;
- Assisting with the day to day operation of the company as required;
The skills and experience you need for the job are:
- A relevant degree;
- Experience of surveying UK habitats and species (particularly bats);
- Knowledge of current survey guidance for UK protected species and UK planning regulations, policy and processes;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management;
- Natural England bat survey licence (Level 2);
- Proven track record of preparing high quality written reports such as Ecological Assessment, Phase 1 habitat, European Protected Species, Habitats Regulations Assessment and Ecological Impact Assessment;
- Experience of project management including implementation of mitigation and enhancement strategies;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a wider team;
- Willingness to work flexible hours including night-time surveys;
- Effective communication skills, particularly in respect of clients, other team members and external stakeholders such as contractors;
- Previous ecology consultancy experience;
- Natural England great crested newt survey licence;
- Experience of preparing EPSL applications;
- Named ecologist on EPS development licences;
- Qualified tree climber;
- Experience of GIS;
- Experience / understanding of writing computer applications.
In return we offer:
- A salary commensurate with experience (circa £25k);
- 25 days annual leave;
- Good training opportunities, staff support and career development;
- A wide range of diverse projects across our client base;
- Paid professional fees (CIEEM);
- A role in a respected consultancy where integrity and ethics guide our working practices.
The final salary and package will be based on qualifications and experience. This post is based on an average 40 hour working week (with time off in lieu of extra hours worked) and 3 month probationary period. To apply please send an up to date CV and covering email to [email protected] Planned interview dates week commencing 19th February.