This listing has expired.
Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation is looking for a GIS Team Supervisor and a GIS Team Assistant Supervisor to join us as January 2020 at our research bases, located in the northeastern Aegean islands.
Archipelagos aims to do effective environmental preservation in the Eastern Aegean Islands by providing answers to complex issues concerning habitats (e.g. seagrass, coralligenous reefs, wetlands), species (e.g. marine mammals, terrestrial species) and threats (anthropogenic and climate) with the use of spatial analyses. Through marine and terrestrial surveys, Archipelagos use GIS, Remote Sensing and hydrographic tools with the purpose of presenting distribution models (e.g. vulnerability, species and habitats).
We are recruiting a GIS Team Supervisor and a GIS Team Assistant Supervisor to supervise, help and teach Archipelagos GIS interns. Further, you monitor the continuation of data collection with the aim of supporting our conservation work.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience with fieldwork in different environments.
- Experience with GIS-software (ArcGIS or QGIS).
- Experienced with data analyses (R, matlab or python).
- Familiar withRemote Sensing.
- Familiar or willing to learn hydrographic tools (https://archipelago.gr/en/about-us/research-bases/research-equipment/).
- Experience managing and training students and/or volunteers
- Demonstrated leadership, supervision and team building skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to write scientific reports and papers
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Greek (optional)
- Sincere interest in issues related to the protection of the environment
- Willingness to occasionally work during weekends and holidays
- Valid international driver’s license or Greek driver’s license
Samos, Lipsi and other Aegean islands (some work will be land based and some work will be on the research boat)
GIS Team Supervisor: Salary plus accommodation and board
GIS Team Assistant Supervisor: Accommodation and board
Please submit a current resume, a list of three references, and a cover letter expressing your interest to [email protected]