This is an introductory level course into commonly occurring invasive species found in the UK as well as some global examples. This course will provide useful information on early recognition and control of invasive species. Topics include:
- What is an invasive species? (terrestrial and aquatic, plants and animals)
- How species invade, naturally, accidentally and deliberately
- Environmental impacts
- Identifying invasive plants such as: Japanese knotweed, Himalayan Balsam, Giant Hogweed, Parrot’s feather
The course will be split into 9 weekly modules:
- Module 1 What is an invasive species?
- Module 2 Impacts of invasive species.
- Module 3 International treaties, strategies and the law.
- Module 4 Plants – Giant Hogweed, Himalayan Balsam, Rhododendron.
- Module 5 Plants – Japanese Knotweed.
- Module 6 Plants – the others.
- Module 7 Top 10 Invasive Species Globally.
- Module 8 Animals – UK – mink and grey squirrel.
- Module 9 Animals – the others (UK)
Course format: These 9 self-study modules will be sent out via e-mail on a weekly basis from the time that you enrol (you can enrol at any time), so that you can read through the content in your own time. To further enhance your knowledge and learning experience there will be some directed reading at the end of each module. At the end there will be a short quiz which you will send to us to be marked and then you will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
Time commitment: The 9 self-study modules are sent out on a weekly basis and you are also given an additional 6 weeks to complete the course (although extra time can be given if requested). We advise students to allow 2-4 hours per week to complete each module and to read around the subject.
Learning outcomes: You will gain a wider knowledge on the subject that will help equip you for jobs in the conservation and ecology sectors.
Price: The course costs only £117 (plus VAT).
How to book: You can book on-line on https://ecologytraining.co.uk/book-a-course/online/
Alternatively, if you are a company, you can request an invoice by emailing [email protected]
Once you have booked, we will e-mail you to confirm that your booking has been received and you will then be able to start the course.