This listing has expired.
£41,124 – £44,530 p.a. dependent on experience
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals from going extinct. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, innovative and adaptable individual in ZSL’s Africa Conservation Programme. Reporting to the Senior Programme Manager, Africa, this senior position will oversee the production and implementation of ZSL’s programme strategies in Africa and ensure the effective operation of the overseas programmes.
The Africa Programme at ZSL is focussed on some of the largest and most intact landscapes in the region with 3 programmes in Cameroon, Kenya and the W-Airly-Pendjari landscape in West Africa. We take a landscape approach to our work with protected areas and communities at the core of this. Our diverse portfolio of projects cover freshwater, mangrove, savannah and tropical forest ecosystems and a range of threatened species from black rhino, elephants and lions to manatees, turtles and pangolins.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the production of strategies for programme development and grant writing.
- Oversee programme, staff management and administration.
- Develop and maintain relationships with collaborators, stakeholders and donors.
- Responsible for budget planning and financial management for the programme.
- Liaise with the programme teams to coordinate cross-Society programme activities.
- Support the external representation and promotion of ZSL and its conservation work.
This is a management level position which requires proven experience in staff management and the delivery and development of conservation programmes. The successful applicant will have a track record of strategic programme development, securing and managing funds from a range of funding sources and experience of developing and managing relationships with partners and donors.
Candidates should also have:
- An excellent standard of written and spoken English. French is highly desirable.
- Proven people management, coaching and capacity building/development skills.
- Strong skills in project planning, financing, management, implementation, and evaluation.
- A good knowledge and understanding of current international and Africa specific biodiversity conservation issues.
- Excellent understanding and experience in developing partnerships, fund-raising, donor strategies, functions, governmental and international relations.
- Experience working in the region is desirable.
Please Note: The position will be based at ZSL’s offices in London and will involve travel to the relevant countries.
Please find the full job description here.
Applicants will need to upload their CV (maximum 3 pages) and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button on ZSL’s website www.zsl.org/jobs. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Sunday 16th September 2018
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.