This listing has expired.
The Wildlands Conservancy (TWC) is a private nonprofit public benefit organization dedicated to preserve the beauty and biodiversity of the earth and to provide programs so that children may know the wonder and joy of nature.
Santa Margarita River Trail Preserve is located in Fallbrook, CA. Ranger may also be assigned to occasionally travel to adjacent TWC locations such as the Mariposa Reserve.
- Performs land stewardship, public contact, maintenance, and habitat restoration. Maintains and improves structures, trails, and picnic areas; maintains equipment, vehicles, and water systems; and promotes safety awareness among the public and staff.
- Establishes and maintains positive professional relationships with local residents, community groups, educational and business entities; explains the dual mission of TWC; coordinates, promotes, and facilitates volunteer programs for land stewardship, and outdoor education opportunities for programs within the South Coast Ecoregion preserve system.
- Primarily outdoor position working in all weather conditions requires regular and punctual attendance and weekend work.
- Greets and engages with visitors and provides access information to the general public, emphasizing information about The Wildlands Conservancy and its work, and stewardship of the Preserve’s natural resources. Informs visitors of the preserve rules, boundaries, and promotes safety.
- Patrols and maintains sections of the trail on foot providing protection and security to the land and its resources.
- Demonstrates good people and communication skills, works cooperatively with others, and effectively deals with difficult behavior or confrontational situations using authority of the resource techniques.
- Repair and maintain buildings, facilities, roads, trails, irrigation systems, solar panels, equipment, (weed eaters, mowers, vehicles, generators, etc.), and appropriate fences and gates. Performs janitorial work in buildings and restrooms. Performs various woodworking duties; making and repairing signs, kiosks, etc.
- Landscaping and grounds maintenance work; mowing, removing weeds, planting and trimming trees, bushes, and plants as directed. Assists in construction/landscaping of new facilities, campgrounds, picnic areas, native nursery, and trails.
- Assists in habitat restoration programs for oak woodlands, riparian corridors, native grasslands; and eradication of exotic plants (may include use of herbicides).
- Removes litter upon discovery.
- Keeps all workshop areas clean and orderly; monitors and controls inventory of tools and equipment. Operates and maintains equipment and vehicles in a safe manner. Follows proper safety standards, practices, and procedures at all times. May participate in the Safety Advisory Committee.
- Inspects grounds for hazards, conducts security and safety checks on-premises. Assists with emergency scenarios, and on-site accidents, prepares necessary written reports.
- May design and lead volunteer, and educational service-learning projects that align with land stewardship and recreational enhancements on the Preserve.
- Performs other duties relating to land stewardship as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in biological, environmental sciences, or rangeland management is a plus, but not required.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) a plus, but not required.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle, valid California Driver License, and ability to be insured under TWC’s auto insurance policy per the Driver Acceptability Standards.
- Pass Live Scan criminal history background check and non-DOT 5-panel drug screen (post-job offer).
- Knowledge of endangered species and habitats of Southern California.
- Grounds equipment operation and maintenance procedures.
- Water and irrigation system maintenance procedures.
- Principles of ecology, plant taxonomy, natural history, and habitat restoration.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Handle difficult behavior effectively and with discretion.
- Demonstrate effective use of leadership and decision-making techniques.
- Work with minimal direct supervision.
- Use basic computer applications; online timekeeping system, e-mail, and Google G-suite.
- Perform strenuous work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Walk a minimum of six miles of uneven terrain. Lift, carry, pull and push a minimum of 50 pounds. Perform routine standing, sitting, reaching, bending, kneeling, speaking, hearing, seeing, operating a motor vehicle; perform standard work functions such typing, learning, speaking on radio, telephone, and in person.
- Perform janitorial, carpentry, plumbing, and mechanical maintenance and equipment repair duties.
- Perform all landscape maintenance tasks including operating weed eaters and mowers; weed, rake, shovel, dig; install and maintain irrigation systems.
- Competently and safely operate 4×4 vehicles (pickups) on extreme road conditions.
COMPENSATION & CLASSIFICATION
$20.00 per hour, non-exempt, full-time, 40 hours per week (five 8-hour shifts) with full-time benefits package which
includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending account, voluntary life & AD&D insurance, Employee Assistance Program, paid vacation, sick, and holiday time.
HOW TO APPLY
E-mail cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Position open until filled.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
The Wildlands Conservancy is committed to the principles of equal employment. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing equal employment opportunities, and all other employment laws and regulations. It is our intent to maintain a work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or retaliation based on an individual’s race (including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, citizenship (including those who hold a drivers license granted under vehicle code 12801.9), physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including gender identity and gender expression), age (40 years and over), sexual orientation, veteran and/or military status, protected medical leaves (requesting or approved for leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act or the California Family Rights Act), domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws. We are dedicated to the fulfillment of this policy in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.