This listing has expired.
Verto Education is an innovative new way for students to start their college career. Through Verto, students can study abroad for the first semester or year of their undergraduate career, while still earning college credits to keep them on track to graduate in four years. Verto also partners with over a dozen colleges, including High Point, James Madison University and the University of Oregon, to give students an admission decision and facilitate their transition on campus upon completion of a semester or year abroad.
Verto’s mission is to empower every student to spend impactful time abroad during their college career, and graduate with a better understanding of themselves, and the world around them. Verto Education is accredited through Portland State University and partners with Rustic Pathways for all program operations.
Environmental Science Field Instructor, Costa Rica
As a Verto Field Instructor for Rustic Pathways, you will serve as the lead facilitator of a freshmen-level course in Environmental Science. Through a dynamic combination of classroom instruction and experiential fieldwork, Field Instructors guide students through an environmental science course in Costa Rica, in which students pair theoretical concepts with real-world experience
- Provide an engaging classroom experience through a combination of lectures and structured academic activities.
- Deliver course instruction in-person at the program locations.
- Engage with students and help them connect the coursework to what they are experiencing in the field.
- Facilitate coursework in compliance with credit requirements as set by the Course Director.
- Maintain flexibility with curriculum as dictated by a changing travel itinerary.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with Verto students, staff, and community partners.
- Evaluate students’ course submissions and provide a final marking of students’ mastery of course objectives.
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Environmental Science, Environmental Education, Biology, Ecology, or a closely related field.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience in college-level classroom teaching.
A demonstrated record of teaching excellence and ability to work with undergraduate students in a close student/faculty relationship.
- Experience delivering a curriculum and facilitating experiential education with proven success.
- Must be 24 years of age or older by September 1, 2019.
- Ability to be on-program overseas from mid-September to late October 2019.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred. Applicants without Spanish will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patient, enthusiastic, analytical, and solution-oriented.
- Follow through with Verto and Rustic Pathways specific documentation practices.
- Appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences.
- Knowledge of local and regional customs and norms in program location(s) through firsthand experience.
- Passion for discussion-based learning and helping students make meaning of their experiences.
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for young people.
- Eager to learn from colleagues and enjoys open collaboration and teamwork.
- Able to maintain excellence under pressure and ever-changing conditions.
- Able to follow organizational protocols while working independently.
- High level of proficiency with Google Drive, Skype, and WhatsApp.
Work and Environmental Conditions
- This position is based in a remote setting in one or more of our destination countries.
- The work pace is continually fast-paced and work is required for more than 4 hours at time.
- Low supervision from managers with infrequent prompts.
- Travel is required up to 75% of the time in-country.
- The environment in which the job is performed outside may include exposure to extreme temperature, noise, heights, or other hazards.
- All of the above remains the same for any additional requirements for training, protective clothing, or monitoring.
- Ability to work in Costa Rica for 5 weeks from mid-September to late October.
Verto Education and Rustic Pathways are Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If an applicant needs reasonable accommodation when applying for an open position, please email [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.