This listing has expired.
Are you looking to join a fast growing, friendly and passionate team with numerous opportunities to work on high profile projects? Are you looking to join an organisation that values personal development and strives to deliver the highest standard of ecological work? If so this may be the job for you!
At Amey we’ve been in business for nearly 100 years and we’re proud of our long history and the difference we make. Focusing on creating better places to live, work and travel, we place great value on the sustainability and natural environment, and are passionate about conserving and enhancing them through our works; to make a difference every day.
Amey is one of the leading suppliers of consulting and infrastructure support services in the UK, and with offices internationally we work across a variety of different sectors. Our rapidly expanding Environment and Sustainability (E&S) team are looking for an experienced Senior Ecologist to join our established ecology team in our Birmingham office.
This role is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Ecologist to assist Amey in delivering its ecological services for a wide range of clients across the Highways, Rail, Local Authority and Utilities sectors as well as expanding our current internal and external business.
Based in our Birmingham office, the successful candidate will work within a multi-disciplinary team supported by a huge wealth of knowledge and expertise. The job will require some night work and periods of time working away from home, particularly during the busy survey period.
Responsibilities will include targeted surveying and reporting (e.g. Phase 1, protected species, EcIA), project management (including commercial management), client liaison, ecological clerk of works, licence applications, overseeing ecological mitigation, and leading and mentoring other ecologists.
As lead Ecologist on schemes you will be working on nationally significant projects from tender stage through to completion. This will require key skills such as organisation, planning and resourcing. You will need to have strong communications skills and a positive team attitude. Good written and verbal communication skills will also be essential to liaise effectively with clients, stakeholders, managers and team members.
- A degree in Ecology, Zoology, Botany, Biology, Environmental Science (with a strong ecology focus) or similar
- Post-graduate qualifications (desirable)
- Full membership of CIEEM
- Chartered status (or eligibility for this)
- Strong technical reporting, including PEA, HRA and EcIA experience
- Project and team management experience across multiple projects in a consultancy setting
- Enthusiastic, reliable and hardworking, with good interpersonal and team motivational skills
- Strong botanical skills with the capability of undertaking Phase 1 habitat surveys in a variety of habitats
- At least one EPS survey licence (e.g. bats, dormouse, GCN, white-clawed crayfish)
- Excellent understanding of UK wildlife legislation and planning policy
- Experienced in review of technical reports
- EPS Mitigation derogation licence experience
- Strong experience of safe working practices related to ecological fieldwork
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, third parties and colleagues
- Excellent organisational skills
- IT literacy (particularly MS Office packages)
- A full UK driving licence
Here at Amey we offer a challenging, varied, exciting and friendly professional working environment with excellent opportunities to learn and develop. We offer highly competitive salaries and a range of rewarding benefits.
Why not apply? You may be surprised where an Amey career can take you.
Our Environmental and Sustainability account is growing so if this particular role is not right for you but you are interested to find more about other opportunities with Amey please do get in touch, you can email Sophie.Harding@amey.co.uk for more information.