The Temporary Restoration Project Specialist contributes to the outplanting goals of Save The Bay’s large-scale transition zone projects along coastal marshes around San Francisco Bay. The Temporary Restoration Project Specialist role is entirely a field position, working with Save The Bay’s Habitat Restoration Team, to outplant thousands of native plants into wide transition-zone levee slopes. The Project Specialist may assist other team members in running volunteer groups on projects such as invasive species removal, native plant propagation and outplanting, and shoreline cleanups. This position reports to the Restoration Program Manager.
- Participate in staff workdays at restoration sites, primarily at Ravenswood in Menlo Park, and at native plant nurseries.
- Participate in additional habitat restoration activities such as invasive plant removal, native plant collection, propagation and outplanting, and shoreline cleanups.
- Process and prepare native seed material at home or in Save The Bay’s nurseries.
- Work Monday-Friday.
- Support Habitat Restoration staff in Community-based Restoration field programs for students, corporate and community groups, and volunteers from the general public (maximum 1/day a week).
- Assist with operation and maintenance of trucks, tools, and native plant nurseries.
- Ensure rigorous safety standards during programs and staff workdays.
- Maintain high standards of performance in a professional work environment.
- Engage in cross-team events and outreach with other departments.
- Ability and interest in working in the field with variable weather conditions
- Experience in Ecology, Environmental Science/Studies, Biology, Conservation, Agriculture, or Habitat Restoration; prior field work experience preferred
- Knowledge of basic Bay ecology, wetland habitats, and CA native plants
- Interest in San Francisco Bay environmental issues and enthusiasm for Save The Bay’s mission and programs
- Ability to ask questions, complete tasks independently, and work well in a team
- Strong commitment to safety and maintenance of truck, restoration tools, and all other equipment
- Initiative, creativity, and collaborative work style; attention to detail, flexible and easily adaptable to change
- Clean background check
- Ownership (or unrestricted access) to a vehicle to use for work purposes; valid California driver’s license and favorable driving history, and proof of auto insurance.
- Ability to lift at least 40lbs
Work Environment and Values:
We welcome people of all cultural backgrounds, gender expression and sexual orientation to apply and thrive with our growing team. Save The Bay is an equal opportunity employer that strives to recruit a diverse workforce and provide an equitable, and inclusive workplace for all.
Save The Bay’s office is closed during the current health pandemic and all 25 employees are working remotely. We offer a flexible, virtual work environment and provide equipment, training and frequent virtual opportunities to connect.
Salary and Benefits:
The starting hourly wage for this full-time, temporary non-exempt position is $20.50 per hour, depending on experience. This is a full-time 40-hour per week, seasonal position for approximately 4 months, October through February 15, 2021. Workweek is Monday-Friday. Preferred start date is mid-late October 2021.
We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and life insurance; paid vacation, paid holidays and sick time; 403(b) retirement plan.
How to Apply:
This position is open until filled. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please make sure to include the position title – Temporary Restoration Project Specialist – in the subject line.