This listing has expired.
We are seeking nine Wildlife Hospital Interns to join our wildlife rehabilitation team for the spring/summer term. Our wildlife hospital operates on ~4 acres and admits more than 700 injured and orphaned wild animals each year from Deschutes County and the surrounding area. Interns work with our wildlife rehabilitation staff to provide care to patients in our clinic. Duties include many aspects of animal husbandry such as diet preparation, cleaning enclosures, assisting staff with patient treatments and procedures, and more.
- Must work well with staff, volunteers, interns, the general public, and as a member of a team
- Must be able to work a recurring schedule (same weekly shifts) with few absences for at least 9 weeks
- Must be flexible and willing to adapt in a fast-paced work environment
- Must possess current tetanus vaccination (within the last 10 years)
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required
- Must present a signed Think Wild liability release waiver
- Experience handling animals or working in a veterinary hospital is beneficial, but not required
- The rabies prophylaxis series is highly recommended and is required for working with rabies vector species such as foxes and raccoons. This vaccine may be covered by your personal health insurance.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
Wildlife hospitals are often fast-paced, intense, and an emotional environment for
staff, volunteers, and members of the public. The ideal candidate will be able to:
- Stand on a solid hard-surface floor for ~8 hours/day
- Stand, stoop, twist, walk, and lift large and potentially heavy kennels and other objects up to 25 pounds without support, and 50 pounds with support
- Capture, handle, and restrain sick, injured, and orphaned wild animals with the understanding that exposure to zoonosis, bites, scratches, and other potential injury is possible
- Prepare for exposure to allergens that are normally present in an environment containing animals and wildlife
- Demonstrate understanding that Think Wild is a drug-free, smoke-free environment