Kick-starter training for Early Career Conservationists launched!
Give your conservation career a huge boost with a special four day course designed to increase your chances of employment within the competitive conservation sector. Stand out from the crowd and get certified in Project Management for Wildlife Conservation (Foundation and Intermediate theory, and Trackers and Reports) from the experts at WildTeam UK. In addition, get your career on track with the Conservation Careers Bootcamp designed to help you understand the job market, to navigate your career options, and to get hired more quickly.
With wildlife in crisis all around the world and numbers of threatened species at an all-time high, the natural world needs your help. The good news is there are a growing number of jobs available in conservation – it’s become a professional industry requiring a diverse and growing range of skill sets. The bad news is it’s more competitive than ever before, with 92% of conservationists confirming that it’s become tougher to get a job in the last decade alone.
This four day Career Kick-starter workshop has been designed to increase your chances of success and is being specially organised and run by WildTeam UK and Conservation Careers.
Who is the course designed for?
The course is designed for early career conservationists. This includes under-graduates, graduates (inc. Masters and PhD students), along with people looking to switch into conservation from a different sector. It will improve your CV and help to focus your conservation job hunt.
The course will be run from the beautiful Juniper Hall Field Centre located in Dorking, Surrey, just a stone’s throw from London.
Part One – Certified Project Management for Wildlife Conservation with WildTeam UK (66%)
Learn from the experts at WildTeam UK how to design and deliver projects that can make a measurable conservation impact. This intensive course will give you the certified, practical skills in running conservation projects that can further your conservation career. As well as gaining new skills that will strengthen your CV or enable you to take on more responsibility at work, this interactive course will also help you build your personal network of conservationists.
The skills we will teach in this workshop were developed and tested on a real conservation project, so we know they work, and are now being used by teams from Australia to Mozambique.
What will you learn? Specifically you will learn how to:
- Apply principles that keep your project on track and have more impact
- Assign roles to your team so that they all have clear levels of decision making
- Break down a project into manageable phases
- Deal with risks, issues, and lessons learned
- Use standardised templates to help plan, monitor, and report on your project work.
What certification will you get? Certification in the following is available through this course, dependent on the participant passing an (optional) assessment:
- PMWC foundation level
- PMWC intermediate level
- PMWC trackers and reports use.
PMWC advanced level is also available as an add-on after the course for an additional fee.
Part Two – Career Bootcamp with Conservation Careers (33%)
This course has been designed to increase your chances of success of getting hired in the conservation sector. It has been based on the experience of hundreds of professional conservationists, from around the world, who have shared their advice with the Conservation Careers team.
What will you learn? Specifically you will:
- Develop your personal career compass, to guide you on your unique conservation job hunt
- Get a detailed understanding of the conservation job market, and identify where to focus your applications
- Learn how to successfully apply for a conservation job
- Understand how to deliver a great interview.
The course starts at 9am prompt on Friday 5th January and finishes at 5pm on Monday 8th January 2018 – before most Universities start back after the Christmas break. There are four days teaching in total.
Early bird options – first eight people get 20% off!
- Course only (including refreshments and lunch) only £332.
- Course plus shared-room accommodation (4 nights) & meals only £428.
- Course plus single-room accommodation (4 nights) & meals only £499.
- Course only (including refreshments and lunch) £399.
- Course plus shared-room (4 nights) accommodation & meals £499.
- Course plus single-room (4 nights) accommodation & meals £575.
These cost include
- Accommodation for 4 nights – checking in on Thursday 4th January and checking out on Monday 8th Meals include breakfast, lunch, dinner (for people staying at Juniper Hall) and snacks.
- Certification in Project Management for Wildlife Conservation (Foundation and, Intermediate theory, and Trackers and Reports) – worth £100.
- One year’s Lion membership of Conservation Careers – worth £45.
How to apply
Spaces are limited and likely to be very popular. To apply, or to ask questions, please contact WildTeam UK by email email@example.com. Applications close 30th October 2017.
WildTeam UK – www.wildteam.org.uk
We give conservationists skills to design and deliver amazing conservation projects that help to save more wildlife. We seek out and develop game changing solutions that improve the way conservation projects are designed and run. We then parcel them up in engaging ways, tailored especially for conservationists. We make these available to conservationists around the world through interactive online conservation courses and by working together with conservation teams.
Conservation Careers – www.conservation-careers.com
We are the #1 careers advice centre for conservationists – helping over 15,000 conservationists in 175 countries across the globe. We believe that all wildlife is beautiful, and that it deserves great conservationists working to protect it. We have extensive international knowledge, experience and a network of contacts within the conservation career sector. This means that we can help job seekers and conservation organisations to form lasting relationships. We do this by providing careers advice and information to a network of dedicated conservationists across the globe.