Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium sized consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary full time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990,
WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
Primary responsibility of this position is:
- Conducting fixed-point bird use surveys at a proposed wind energy facility.
- Assisting with other surveys as needed potentially including surveys for raptor nests, bat acoustic surveys, lek counts, and targeted surveys for wildlife species of concern
The successful candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
- An accomplished birder with demonstrated experience identifying western bird species by sight and sound, with an emphasis on eagle and raptor identification.
- Prior experience conducting point counts is highly preferred.
- Prior experience conducting raptor nest surveys, grouse lek surveys, habitat assessments, or surveys for plant and animal species of concern is a plus.
- Prior experience working independently in remote, rugged terrain in mud and snow conditions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to complete datasheets accurately and submit data timely and regularly.
- A demonstrated record of safety and good decision-making skills working in remote environments.
- Experience with ATV/UTV and trailering is highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, enthusiastic applicants with relevant field experience also considered
- Must follow all WEST safety protocols and conduct field work with safety as top priority
- Ability to use, care for and maintain field equipment including work vehicle
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians
- Ability to appear for work on time, with some surveys beginning before sunrise
- Ability to stay focused for long periods of time
- Flexibility to work variable days and times and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in challenging conditions
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, able stand or walk for up to 12 hours per day and carry up to 30 lbs. over uneven terrain
- Surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and environmental conditions can be extreme