Would you like to participate in valuable forest conservation research in the cloud forest of Costa Rica?
- Gain valuable research and conservation work experience for future academic and professional goals.
- Make use of a well-equipped laboratory and the guidance of knowledgeable professionals while pursuing your research interests.
- Contribute to critical reforestation and habitat conservation work in the heart of the Costa Rican rainforest.
- Build your resume and contacts in a fun and engaging environment of likeminded conservationists.
- Explore and protect one of the most biodiverse regions of the world.
As an intern, you can jump into the reserve’s exciting conservation and reforestation projects. Support resident researchers, or come as an independent researcher and contribute your focus and skillset in a new way. Here, passionate conservationists and creative minds work together towards the common goal of environmental protection and regeneration.
This intern opportunity permits participants to work side by side with international and local biologists passionate about protecting the roughly 280 hectares of wild land and all of the species that call it home. During your minimum 10-week long stay as a research intern or a minimum of 12 weeks as an independent researcher, your classroom with be the cloud forest. You will have access to the reserve’s laboratory and library. In addition, you will assist researchers with existing long-term fauna studies and reforestation efforts while learning and sharpening field research competencies. If you would like to pursue your independent research at the reserve, you will have professional and technological support from our resident biologists.
Research interns will work on one to two projects focusing on plant and/or animal species across the three major types of habitat: primary forest, reforested secondary forest and secondary forest that has naturally regenerated. These studies assist researchers working in reforestation to analyse the effects of natural regeneration versus active planting while building an understanding of the scope of species on the reserve. Interns will also be trained to work with the three long-term fauna research projects at the reserve: mammal camera trapping, bird point counts and herpetology visual encounter surveys.
You will stay in a mixed dorm room with bunk beds for 4-8 people. You will share a bathroom and shower, as well as a kitchen. There is plenty of indoor and outdoor communal space for you to spend your free time. If you are interested in a single room for you or to share with a friend/partner, there are two small independent houses available to book for an added fee. They include a private kitchen, bathroom and shower, one queen bed and a private patio. They are subject to availability.
During your free time, after all of your activities have been completed, you can make use of one of the many fun facilities that the reserve has to offer, including: an outdoor bodyweight gym, grass volleyball court, yoga lawn, slackline, waterfall swimming lagoon, selection of games and sports equipment and a community library with a book swap.
“The feeling of striving for the same goal together with other volunteers and interns was indescribable, and the way we supported the turtles and worked together in a team was real fun. When being together with the right people, out of a sudden each problem seems to be much smaller and it was easier to find a solution then.” (Fabienne, 21 years)
Dates, Services, Cost
The project runs all year round with no holidays. Start date is always on Sundays.
- Placement in the programme
- Assistance with travel arrangements
- Assistance with selecting travel insurance
- Assistance with booking flights
- Risk coverage certificate
- Pre-departure information pack
- Accommodation during the programme
- Drinking water
- Training during the programme
- Programme-related equipment
- Learning material
- English-speaking support by long-term experienced staff
- 24/7 support throughout the programme
Not Included in the Services pack
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Visa fees
- All meals during the programme
- Personal expenses and optional excursions
- Accommodation outside programme hours
- 10 weeks: 1.950 EUR
- 12 weeks: 2.250 EUR
- 24 weeks: 3.750 EUR
Find out more and apply here