Get specialised veterinary training, hands-on experience and credits on this 15-day expedition in South Africa AND get career training from Conservation Careers
Professional Veterinary and Veterinary technician program for CE and CPD points
“Veterinary Care of Wildlife in Africa”
This is a 15-day expedition for professional veterinarians, veterinary technicians and veterinary nurses. The focus is on ecological management of wildlife diseases, elephant contraception techniques, in vitro fertilisations and rhino breeding and protection measures, wildlife rehabilitation and veterinary care programs in local rural communities, OneHealth approach.
This program 1015-34635 is approved by the AAVSB RACE to offer a total of 31.00 CE Credits.
About Our Partner
Meet your mobile classroom in Wildlife Conservation and Wildlife Veterinary science!
Conservation Careers has teamed up with an organisation offering exciting hands-on, in depth educational expeditions to students and professionals in wildlife conservation and veterinary science. Anyone with a keen interest in wildlife conservation can come and enjoy a behind-the-scenes experience! This is an ideal way to launch your veterinary and wildlife conservation career.
If you register your interest below, we’ll put you in touch with our partner to take the booking and to plan your trip!
Explore all our Conservation Careers Experiences.
The focus areas of this 15-day course are: Rhino and elephant management, Wildlife genetics and health, Disease control, Livestock and wildlife, Game capture essentials and Embryo transplant in wildlife. This program 1015-22747 is approved by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) to offer a total of 31.00 CE Credits (31.00 max) veterinarian and/or 31 Veterinary Technician
- Rhinoceros and wildlife management/conservation and the role of veterinary science
- Elephant management and the role of the veterinarian in population control
- Priorities in and the handling of clinical wildlife veterinary cases
- Maintaining wildlife genetics integrity and the functioning of the wildlife veterinary genetics laboratory
- Managing the wildlife and particularly the overpopulation of elephant in Kruger National Park
- Managing the vegetation ecology to the benefit of wildlife health in the Kruger National Park
- The scope of running wildlife veterinary services in Kruger
- The red line and enzootic area management
- Diseases share by livestock and wildlife and zoonosis in the region
- Applied wildlife parasitology
- Wildlife post mortem and necropsy procedures
- The pharmacological working of various capture drugs for wildlife
- Different dartguns for different applications and applicable darts and propelling methods
- Talks, discussions, demonstrations and hands-on participation in actual game capture operations for purposes of relocation, tagging, diagnostics, vaccination and disease or injury treatment
- Wildlife conservation value of successful in vitro fertilisation and embryo transfers
BONUS! Kick-starter online training for Early Career Conservationists (worth £295)
Feeling lost in your conservation job hunt? Want to work in conservation, but don’t know where to start? Get your career on track with the Kick-starter online training for Early Career Conservationists designed to help you understand the job market, to navigate your career options, and to get hired more quickly.
Whether you’re at university and planning your next steps, a graduate in the job hunt or working in an unrelated job but interested to switch into conservation, this course is designed to help you.
This unique online course has been designed to increase your chances of success, and is being specially organised and run by Conservation Careers.
All you need to do is register your interest in the project below, and if you choose to make a booking we’ll save a place for you on our course when you get back from your placement.
Included in the course is a year’s full-access membership of the Conservation Careers Academy, which includes access to over 8,000 jobs, 1,500 training courses, live training events and many more career-boosting options.
Dates & Cost
- PROVET 19 – August 22 to September 5
- PROVET 20 – September 26 to October 10
- PROVET 21 – October 24 – November 07
Cost: US$4 900 per person sharing & US$5 400 single (Only lodging , no camping)
- Accommodation (camping unless specified otherwise) and transportation for the duration of the program
- Airport transfers as stated
- Lectures and course material
- Permits and entry fees
- All meals
- Group activities
- Air travel to and from South Africa