This listing has expired.
WILD OTTERS RESEARCH PRIVATE LIMITED is a wildlife entrepreneurship based in Goa, India and is involved in wildlife research, education and outreach across the states of Goa and Karnataka. WILD OTTERS seeks to grow and strengthen its team of scientists by filling the vacancy for Research Associate. If you are passionate about making a difference, want to improve your skills set and experiences, including the opportunity to develop or advance your skills working in human dominated mangroves and wetland ecosystems, this position is for you.
Job role: This position holder will be responsible for all aspects of the research programme, including daily supervision of research team, data analysis and report writing for any one of a number of projects that WILD OTTERS is working on, in mangrove habitats in Goa. The Smooth-coated otter will be the primary focus of the work, and questions we are looking at include the species adaptability to estuarine environments, their reliance on fresh water resources and their den usage patterns. We are hoping to expand our research to other species in these landscapes including porcupine, civets and mongoose.
More specifically, the role involves:
- Implementation of the research programme (field surveys, camera trapping, data collection etc)
- Daily supervision management and training of interns and placement students
- Preparation of project reports and publication of results in scientific journals
- Graduate in an environmental or biological science discipline
- Strong analytical abilities – both quantitative and qualitative.
- Experience of data analysis & report-writing
- Excellent written/oral communication & presentation skills
- Administrative & time management skills
- Ability to train interns and placement students
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and perform in an entrepreneurial atmosphere.
- A passion for wildlife research, typically evidenced by a strong interest and prior exposure to global issues such as climate change, conservation, rural/urban development.
- Experience living and working in different cultures; previous time spent in developing countries would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated fluency with English speaking and writing skills; proficiency with other languages a plus.
- You will need to be physically capable and medically fit to work in humid tropical conditions.
- Must be able to ride a scooter/motorcycle
Requirements: Although these attributes are ideal, every application is carefully considered and this job is an opportunity for less experienced individuals to gain overseas field experience of research, project and intern/placement management and training.
Location: This position is based at our field station on Chorao Island in Goa.
Start date: Mid July, 2019
Expected tenure: 6 months with the possibility of being absorbed into in a permanent position at the organization.
Rewards and benefits to you: WILD OTTERS aims to become a world leader in wildlife research and education and hopes to promote a successful business model for wildlife research. This exciting organisation will continue to be in the public eye, giving those involved an unrivalled opportunity to contribute to the public discourse on wildlife research and business. With exposure to some of the leading minds in wildlife research and conservation both in India and internationally, this role is a unique opportunity to learn and grow.
Remuneration: This is a non-paying position. However WILD OTTERS will take care of your food, accommodation (shared) and field expenses.
To apply to this position please submit (as PDFs) your cover letter, CV and response to Key Selection Criteria to [email protected] using the subject line: Research Associate
Application deadline is 15th June, 2019.